Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:31:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52205 20054


SJ 5220-5320; 20/52


Church of Saint Mary Magdalene



Chapel of ease, now parish church. Circa 1190 and C14, tower of c.1840, church restored and enlarged in 1872-4 at cost of £1,000 and further restored and altered, and vestry added, in 1903-4 at the expense of F. Bibby of Hardwicke Grange in memory of his father J. J. Bibby (d.1892). Dressed grey sandstone with grey sandstone ashlar additions (west tower tooled); plain tile toofs. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, south porch, north vestry and west tower. Tower in late C13 Gothic style and late C19 and early C20 work in a C14 Gothic style.

Tower: three stages. Diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets up to top of second stage, chamfered offset to second stage, moulded string to belfry, moulded parapet string course with carved decoration and corner gargoyles, stepped battlemented parapet with ogee trefoiled-panels, and pyramidal cap with weathervane. Chamfered lancet belfry openings with ogee-trefoiled heads, louvres, and returned hoodmoulds; chamfered square recess to east with returned hoodmould; second stage with seven-foiled circular west window and tall narrow chamfered blind lancets to north and south; first-stage chamfered west lancet with cinquefoil head, hoodmould with carved stops, and chamfered offset rased over above. Nave: chamfered plinth, restored C14 buttresses (angle at corners) with steeply chamfered offsets, moulded parapet string course, C19 battlemented parapet with trefoil-headed panels at ends, C19 clerestory with triple trefoil- headed lights, and parapeted gable end to east with cross at apex. Lead downpipes with shaped rainwater heads fed by carved stone gargoyles. South side: C14 and C19 windows to right with two trefoil-headed lights, cusped tracery and double-chamfered reveals; single double-chamfered lancet with trefoil head to left. C12 round-arched doorway in second bay from left with returned hoodmould and c.1903-4 panelled door with glazed trefoiled panels and elaborate ironwork including lock plate and hinges. C14 or C15 and late C19 or early C20 gabled porch; timber-framed on chamfered grey sandstone plinth; curved braces to front, shields lettered "TD" and "ID", curved struts in gable with pierced quatrefoil panels between, trefoil-pierced barge boards and panelled pendant finials; sides have pierced leaded cinquefoil lights with wrought- iron grilles. Benches within and C14 or C15 jointed cruck truss to rear with continuous chamfer North side: two windows to left of two ogee trefoil-headed lights with cusped tracery and double chamfered reveals; double-chamfered trefoil-headed lancet to right. Blocked C12 doorway in second bay from west with chamfered reveals, imposts, roll-moulded round arch and returned hoodmould. Chancel: circa 1903-4, except for C14 east wall. Double-chamfered plinth, chamfered and moulded string course at cill level, moulded cornice, angle buttresses with chamfered offsets and trefoiled gabled tops, battlemented parapet with chamfered coping, and parapeted gable end with chamfered coping and cross at apex. Lead downpipe to south fed by stone gargoyle. Rooflight with shaped lead top. South side: window to left of two cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery and returned hoodmould and pair of cinquefoil- headed lancets to right with moulded arches and continuous hoodmould. C14 east window of three ogee trefoil-headed lights with reticulated tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould (formerly returned). Vestry to north of chancel: chamfered plinth, coped parapet and large external stack to left with chamfered offset and three octagonal shafts with broaches and moulded cornice. Lead downpipes and rainwater heads. Chamfered- mullioned window of three quatrefoil-headed lights beneath gable to right and diagonal porch to right with 4-centered arched panelled door. Left-hand return front has straight-sided arched window of three trefoil- headed lights with wrought-iron grilles and returned hoodmould. Right- hand return front with small chamfered lancet.

INTERIOR: late C19 or early C20 five-bay nave roof with chamfered ogee arch-braced collars springing from hammer beams with billet decoration and shields resting on carved stone foliage corbels; king post and pierced trefoil panels above collar. 2-bay chancel roof with cusped moulded arch-braced collars springing from hammer beams on carved stone foliage corbels, carved and crested wall plate, pierced screen over ashlar pieces, and single purlins with cusped ceils below. Cusped panels to rooflights. Double- chamfered tower arch with chamfer dying into responds and hoodmould with carved stops; pair of small chamfered openings in apex of roof above. Late C19 or early C20 chamfered and moulded chancel arch with inner moulding dying into responds and hoodmould with carved stops. North side of chancel with double-chamfered round arch to organ chamber and vestry. C14 piscina to south-east of nave with chamfered ogee arch. Chancel piscina with pierced ogee arch and panelled spandrels, and chancel south windows with chamfered trefoiled rear arches. C14 east window with moulded rear arch. Fittings: some late C19 but mostly early C20. Elaborate carved wooden reredos with traceried panels, pierced cusping and cresting. Similar altar table. Wainscot panelling to sanctuary with cusped heads. Recessed panelled sedilia. Altar rails with twisted balusters, square dies, and ramped handrail. Patterned marble floor. Choir stalls with traceried-panelled fronts; desks and vicar's pew with traceried panels and carved animal poppyheads, pelican etc. Sumptuous organ screen with central canted break, cresting etc. 3-bay chancel screen with traceried lower panels, open upper panels with pierced tracery and twisted shafts, and decorative canopy with pierced cresting. Eagle lectern. Wooden pulpit with canted front, traceried panels, twisted shafts, scalloped top with adjustable reading desk, and four steps up. Nave with plain wainscot panelling and pews with linenfold and traceried-panelled fronts and ends. Movable benches at rear of nave with C17-style splat-baluster backs. Octagonal carved stone font from Malta given by Mr Bibby in 1880 and consisting of marble shafts and floral decoration; carved wooden canopy of 1923. Four wooden benefactors' boards beneath tower. Free-standing hexagonal wooden newel staircase to tower with pierced splat balusters. Monument: tablet to Rowland, First Viscount Hill (d. Dec. 10, 1842) by Thomas Carline with mourning grenadier and tenant flanking lion. Stained glass: east window of 1888 and north and south nave windows of 1892 and 1897, by C. E. Kempe. Hadnall was formerly a chapelry of Myddle.

D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury Churches, pp.857-8; B.O.E., p.136; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1905), pp.102-3.

Listing NGR: SJ5220520054


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 857-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 136
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1905), 102-3


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/08195/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Ivy Maddox. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].