Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:03:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 40460 06627


WAYFORD CP PARK LANE (South side) ST40NW Wayford Manor House 5/77



Manor House. Possibly incorporating medieval fragments; rebuilt c1600 by charles Daubeney probably with William Arnold as master mason, but north wing completed by Sir Ernest George cl900. Ham stone ashlar. parts rendered; stone slate roofs with moulded coped gables; stone chimney stacks, 'E'-plan; 2 storeys with attics; west elevation of 5 bays, of which bays 1 and 5 are large projections and bay 3 a lesser projection of 2 storeys with hipped roof. Plinth, string course; hollow-chamfered mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, on the end gables of bays 1 and 5 all 4-light except lower bay 1, which has pairs of 3-light sharing a label; to bays 2 and 4 are pairs of 3-light transomed windows to ground floor - some lights blind in bay 2 - and 4-light above; The porch has a 4-light above, and the entrance is marked by an arcade of 3 semi-cicular arches with Tuscan columns and lozenge decoration; remarkably similar to Cransorne Manor (Dorset, 1609), screening a cambered arched doorway flanked by shell niches; above the arcade a band of lozenge entablature. then a coat of arms - presumably Daubeney - in a frame with egg-and-dart moulding: high in the gable of bay I a sundial inscribed with initials (?JHB) and date 1901: the then owner being L Ingham Baker. The south elevation much less formal, of four bays, of which bay 3 is a hipped projection and bay 4 the tall gable of the crossing:bay 1 has 3-light windows, the lower with transome, and this is repeated to bay 2 ground floor only; bay 3 has a 4-light transomed window at mezzanine level, and bay 4 also has 4-light windows, of which the attic window is also transoned, but projecting from the ground floor of this bay is a flat roofed wing with composite window and door unit and then a 3-arch arcade matching the front porch, facing westward; this presumably of c1900, Interior not accessible, but reported is a remodelled interior retaining a ribbed plaster ceiling in the library, below which is a fine chimneypiece dated 1602 which features pairs of Corinthian columns carrying an overmantel with typical Renaissance panel and decoration, with a similar ceiling to the smallar solar, possibly a medieval room. Much of the remaining work, including the staircase, is careful restoration work by Sir Ernest George, As well as comparisons with Cranborne, much detail is reminiscent of Montacute House, (qv) also attributed to William Arnold, (Oswald, A, Wayford Manor, Somerset,Vol IV, County Life September 29th 1934; Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978,pp69-70).

Listing NGR: ST4046006627


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Oswald, A , Wayford Manor Somerset
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 69-70
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 29 September, (1934)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15863/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].