NORTH CADBURY COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1178213
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
NORTH CADBURY COURT, WOOLSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH CADBURY COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:19:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORTH CADBURY COURT, WOOLSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
North Cadbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 63598 27026

Details

NORTH CADBURY CP WOOLSTON ROAD (South side, off) ST6327 8/179 North Cadbury Court 24.3.61 GV I

Country House. Circa 1580-1610, built by Sir Francis Hastingsi major alterations c1790; remodelled internally in early C20 by Tipping. Cary stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs between coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks with moulded tops. Double roof plan with extensions; 3 storeys; north elevation of 4 bays, each having separate gable with small finial, with 2-storey projections to left of bay 2 and right of bay 3. Plinth; wave-mould mullioned windows, all with square labels; 4-light windows second floor; on first floor 8-light with two transomes to outer bays and 4-light single-transome inner bays; to ground floor 4-light single transomed, to full height in inner bays, small to outer: the bay 2 projection is a porch with plinth, semi-circular arched opening flanked by pairs fluted Doric pilasters with entablature; above square panel with the Hastings arms, then a 4-light transomed window; frieze with triglyphs and dentilled cornice, shaped parapet with semi-circular crown to centre; inside porch a 20-panelled door in moulded flat arched opening: the bay 3 projection is a square bay window, with 3 lights to side and 6 to front, the ground floor double-transomed and the first floor single-transmed to match: extension to rear both sides, and in north-east corner a small C18 single-storey projecting wing of 5 bays, with central pediment and leaded casement windows. Originally 'U'-plan, with projecting wings southwards, these were adapted and the hollow filled in c1790, and south facade of this period; long range of 4+3+4 bays, the centre three bays projecting slightly, and in centre of this a segmental curve bow window, possibly an addition of c1810. All ashlar: plinth, simple cornice mould and plain solid parapet: above, 12-pane sash windows in architraves, save for the bow, which has 3 similar windows but with 'Y'-tracery to head; below, 15-pane sashes in architraves, almost to ground level, with french doors to the five windows of the 3 central bays; two flat roofed dormers in centre. Interior substantially refitted with quality early C20 work; surviving are a small newel staircase - the main staircase renewed and relocated - an ornamental plaster ceiling to one first floor room, several indications of pre-1580 work in south-west corner, and armorial stained glass of c1580- 1590 in the large bay window of the north front, now the stairwell. Sir Francis Hastings was a Puritan writer and pamphleteer, who died in 1610 and is buried in St. Michaels Church (qv) nearby. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6362527036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262112
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].