CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178326
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, WELLS ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178326.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 15:35:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, WELLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Westbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 49960 48704

Details

ST44NE WESTBURY-SUB-MENDIP CP WELLS ROAD (South side)

9/154 Church of St Lawrence 22.11.66

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13, C15; restored 1887 with rebuilt tower. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar, freestone dressings, coped verges, cruciform finials, tile and lead sheeting roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south transept, south porch, north organ chamber with vestry, west tower. Perpendicular. Severe unbuttressed 2-stage tower, 2-light bell-chamber windows, polygonal stair turret, clock; embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, may be re-used from earlier tower; west door opening incorporating earlier material. Three bay nave; blocked Norman north doorway, very plain and not in its original state, detached polygonal shafts, cushion caps; 2 and 3-light windows. Three bay aisle, buttresses, pierced parapet with trefoils in triangles, pinnacles, gargoyle; 3-light windows with elaborate tracery, labels. Transept contiguous in a conforming style. Two-storeyed porch with a former upper chamber, diagonal buttresses, pierced parapet, niche for former statue, now missing, moulded inner and outer door openings; inside benched on tile floor, stoup, niche with canopy for former statue, now missing. Short single bay chancel, 2-light Perpendicular window to south side, lancet to north side, late C13 east window of 2 lights with encircled quatrefoil in plate tracery, foiled rere-arch. Plastered interior on tile and encaustic tile floors. Roofs appear all C19 on C13/C15 corbels carved as heads, wall shafts to outer wall of the aisle; some corbels may have been restored C19. Late Norman tower arch of one order of columns, trumpet caps, one step arch. Three bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4 hollows moulding; similar the arches to transept and chancel; C19 arch to organ chamber. C13 octagonal font. C13 piscina to chancel. Perpendicular stone pulpit. Jacobean chest and chair. Late C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails, brass lectern, very large neo-Decorated reredos and organ. Earliest monument to George Rodnei (sic), obit 1587, forming a reredos to transept, inscription plate in 4-centred arch, columns, entablature, no effigy. Wall monument dated 1615 behind organ; C17 slab to floor; good pedimented wall monument to nave inscribed; "J Tuckey Wedmore Fecit 1779". Five principal C19 wall monuments by Bath and Bristol firms. Late C19 stained glass to east window. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4996048704

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268167
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01550/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Barry Lane. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].