- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ELSTON HALL, TOP STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178435.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 15:28:00.
- Statutory Address:
- ELSTON HALL, TOP STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 75712 47912
ELSTON TOP STREET
SK 74 NE
6/28 Elston Hall (formerly
listed as The Hall)
Country house now 10 maisonnettes. Dated 1756, garden front
dated 1837, later C19 and c.1950 extensions. Blue lias with
ashlar dressings, red brick and render. C18 range of blue lias
with ashlar quoins and dressings. Plain tile roof. 2 ashlar red
brick stacks each with 3 shafts with chamfered corners. Ashlar
parapet with moulded band under, the central single bay having a
shaped parapet with single central crudely carved half length
statue of a drummer boy. Set on a plinth with chamfered ashlar
band over. Originally H-plan. 2 storeys plus attic, 9 bays. The
outer 2 bays on each side project and have ashlar coped gables
with kneelers. The slightly projecting single central bay of
ashlar has raised quoins. Central doorway with 8 fielded
panelled door and rusticated architrave surround with keystone
and pediment over. Projecting on either side are later single
balustraded ashlar walls. Either side are 2 glazing bar sashes.
Further right and left are single doorways with glazing bar and
panelled C20 doors in former window openings. On the far right
and left are single similar sashes. Above, single round arched
glazing bar sash, single fluted pilasters either side support the
architrave with fluted keystone dated 1756. 2 brackets support
the sill. Either side are 4 glazing bar sashes. Above, in the
gables are single similar smaller sashes. All sashes and C20
doorways have eared segmental arched architraves with keystones.
There are 3 gabled, render and plain tile dormers each with
single glazing bar casement. The central dormer being larger.
To the right and projecting is a red brick and slate late C19
wing with single similar stacks to the left and rear right.
Shaped, ashlar coped, parapet, having low gables over the outer
single bays. First floor band. 3 glazing bar sashes with
panelling below, in similar moulded surrounds to the C18 range.
Above are 3 similar smaller sashes in similar surrounds with the
sills supported on 2 brackets and continuous hood mould band
over. Further right and set back is a 2 storey 4 bay red brick
and cement render C20 wing with balustraded parapet, glazing bar
door and glazing bar casements. Further right is a projecting
lean-to with doorway in the side wall and 4 window openings to
the front. Attached to the former wing and set back is a similar
2 storey 3 bay wing with glazing bar doors and glazing bar
casements. To the left of the C18 wing and slightly set back is
a similar 2 storey 8 bay C20 wing with similar doors and
casements. Rear/garden front. Red brick with slate and plain
tile roofs. 2 storey, 3 bay canted centre with outer two and a
half storey 2 bay gabled wings. Gables ashlar coped with
kneelers each with single red brick stack with 2 shafts rising
from the apex. Central 3 bays with hipped roof and ashlar coped
parapet. First floor band and band over first floor windows.
The single central bay projects and has an ashlar coped gable
with kneelers, flanking this bay are single octagonal ashlar
coped brick piers which rise above the kneelers. Central
recessed porch with outer Tudor archway supported on engaged
colonnettes with quatrefoils in the spandrels and hood mould
over. Inner Tudor arched doorway with double door with glazing
bars to the top half and decorative panels to the lower half.
Over is a pointed arched overlight with Gothick glazing bars.
Stained glass panel with Darwin crest dated 1837. Flanking the
door are single similar marginal lights and panels. Either
side are single tripartite glazing bar cross casements. Further
left and right are single doorways with C20 glazing bar and
panelled doors and single outer glazing bar sashes. Above,
single central tripartite glazing bar cross casement, flanked by
single glazing bar cross casements and in the side walls single
glazing bar casements. In each outer gabled wing are 2 glazing
bar sashes. Above, central ashlar shield in the single central
bay, the gabled wings have single small glazing bar double sashes
with single decorative cross arrow loops above. All openings
have Tudor style hood moulds and label stops. To the left and
set back is a later C19 gabled 2 storey plus attic 2 bay red
brick wing with ashlar coped gables, kneelers and single stack
with 3 shafts rising from the apex. 2 glazing bar sashes on both
the ground and first floors with single similar sash above, all
with Tudor style hood moulds and label stops, that on the top
floor being continuous. The apex decorated with a simple
stylised ashlar quatrefoil. Further left and set back is a red
brick and cement rendered wing with balustraded parapet. 2
storeys, 3 bays. First floor band broken by the pediment.
Central doorway with glazing bar and panelled double door and
overlight topped with a pediment supported on brackets. Rising
from the pediment are single outer large finials. Either side
are single largeglazing bar cross casements with 2 similar
larger casements above. Further left are various C20 cement
rendered wings with glazing bar casements and glazing bar doors.
Attached to the right of the C18 range are similar C20 wings.
Interior. Room to the left of the C18 doorway with bolection
mouded fireplace, panelled walls and ornamental panelled ceiling.
Eared architrave to panel led door. Room to the right has mid C18
fireplace with carved frieze and large shouldered, carved,
architrave. Rear 1837 hall, the 2 doorways leading to the rooms
at the front have Gothick panelling to doors and reveals.
Panelled ceiling. Archway with Gothick panelling to reveal.
Rear of main door with Gothick panelling and Gothick panelled
surround. First floor has panelled ceilings to 3 rooms in the
C19 wing, panels of 2 of the rooms decorated with egg and dart
and bead motif with large central plaster face to each panel.
These rooms also with panelled walls and one with smaller,
similar carved fireplace to that on the ground floor. C19 dogleg
stair with machine turned balusters. Birthplace of Erasmus
Listing NGR: SK7571247912
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing