CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1178470
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178470.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Farndon
National Grid Reference:
SK 76790 51794

Details

FARNDON CHURCH STREET SK 75 SE (south side) 3/32 Church of 16.1.67 St. Peter G.V. I Parish church. C12, late C13, C14, restored 1598, C16 and late C19. Coursed rubble, ashlar, render. Nave, aisles, chapel, vestry and chancel, all with parapets. Single ridge crosses to the east end of nave and chancel. Buttressed throughout. Tower, nave, aisles, north vestry, south porch, south chapel and chancel. Diagonally buttressed tower, set on a chamfered plinth of 3 stages with bands. Embattled with 8 crocketed pinnacles. The west side has a single window with 3 arched lights under a flat arch with dripmould. Over is an ashlar panel inscribed "This was done Ano 1598...." The south side has a single window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch with flush ashlar quoin surround. Above is a single rectangular stair light. In the bell chamber are 4 openings, each with 2 arched lights under a flat arch and dripmould. The north aisle is set on a chamfered plinth, the west wall has a single C19 3 light window with cusped panel tracery under segmental pointed arch with flush ashlar quoin surround and hood mould. The north wall has a C12 round arched doorway with blocked tympanum. To the right is evidence of C12 herringbone masonry. To the left are 2 C19 2 light windows each with cusped panel tracery under a segmental pointed arch with flush ashlar quoin surrounds, hood moulds and label stops. The vestry is set on a chamfered plinth with single diagonal buttress to the east. There is a single restored C14 2 light window with ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery, under a segmental pointed arch with hood mould and label stops. Under is a sill band which extends the length of the north wall being broken by the moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops, this is to the left of the window. The east end of the vestry, also with continuous sill band, has a single similar restored 2 light window with flush ashlar qoin surround, hood mould and label stops. The clerestory has 3 restored segmental pointed arched C14 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould, label stops and flush ashlar quoin surround. To the right of the central window is a single carved human head. The diagonally buttressed chancel is set on a chamfered plinth with moulded band over. The C19 arched east window has 3 lights with cusped panel tracery, a single transom with blind tracery under, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould, label stops and stepped continuous sill band. The south chancel has a single restored C14 segmental pointd arched window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and right label stop. The south chapel is set on a chamfered plinth and has in the east wall a single C19 segmental pointed arched 2 light window with cusped panel tracery, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has a single restored segmental pointed arched C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and label stops. The south aisle, south wall, has 2 C14 segmental pointed arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and label stops. A continuous sill band extends under. The gabled south porch with plain tile roof and single ridge cross has a double chamfered arched entrance. The inner chamfered arched doorway has a hood mould. The west wall of the south aisle has a segmental pointed arched C14 window with 2 arched and cusped lights flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and label stops. The south clerestory corresponds to the north, but lacks the carved head. Interior. 3 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches and hood mould to the north side which was rebuilt in 1897 and has compound piers each of 4 attached shafts with moulded capitals. To the east is an octagonal respond , to the west a moulded capital. The late C13 south arcade west pier is circular with 4 attached colonnettes and moulded capitals. The east pier has 4 attached shafts alternating with 4 keeled shafts with fillets, all with moulded capitals. The east respond has a circular column with fillet and 2 engaged colonnettes. The west has a single moulded capital with remnants of a circular column with fillet supported on a corbel. Moulded tower arch, the inner arch order being supported on single corbels. Double chamfered C19 chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on single corbels, with hood mould over. The north aisle, north vestry, has a chamfered arch. The south aisle, south chapel has a double chamfered arch. Chamfered chancel north vestry and chancel south chapel arches. To the left of the south chapel arch is a small pointed chamfered arch. In the south chancel wall is an arched piscina. In the north wall is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould. The south wall of the south aisle has an arched piscina. In the tower is a C17 staircase with fretted balusters. Octagonal font with elaborate C19 canopy. Furniture C19. Monuments include in the north chancel to William Buck, 1795, by Wallis of Newark, a tablet surmounted by an urn. In the south chancel is a decorative brass plaque to Dorothy Cook, 1741. In the south aisle, to Samuel Peake, 1729, this has single angels' heads flanking the decorative apron, single scrolls flank the inscription and the crown is decorated with a single urn. In the tower is a metal plaque to W. Rippon and I. Lamb, church wardens, 1792. The north aisle has the remains of C12 ashlar coffin. Nave roof of 1664.

Listing NGR: SK7679251796

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241984
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12424/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].