Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178485.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 06:25:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SU 56872 30259



2/1 Church of St Andrew

5.12.55 I Parish Church, mid C11 plan with surviving chancel, late C12 nave and aisles, C18 tower and porch. Rubble flint and stone, stone and brick dressings, brick tower, old plain tile roof. On ground sloping down to E. C11 chancel has wide Saxo- Norman flat buttresses to corners and in centres of walls. On side walls a round headed double splay light. E window 6 1330 3-light with reticulated tracery and hood. Nave and aisles taller and high on E nave gable pair of round headed openings. E end of S aisle has C14 2-light window and N aisle has C14 3-light with C20 rebuilt head. S aisle has 2 C18 2-light round headed windows with brick dressings either side of porch and similar W window. Porch C18 gables, brick, with rounded head to C20 doors. N aisle has small round headed doorway with chamfer. Tower has tablet on S "1703 John Rowland, John Newell, churchwardens", blue header brickwork with some stone quoins and hipped roof with weathervane. N C18 round headed door and W C20 C18 style 2-light round headed window. Stepped in upper stages with rebuilt C18 1 and 2-light rectangular bell openings and crennelations. Inside chancel, medieval stained glass fragments, including St. Andrew, in head of E window. East side stone corbel. Below S window C13 piscina. Good C17 altar rails. C14 roof hidden by canted ceiling with moulded wallplate, with at E tie across window. Plain pointed chancel arch. Nave has C13 2 bay S arcade with plain pointed single order arches and octagonal piers. In face of E respond is doorway to rood stair which is continued in thickness of wall. Steps to C18 round headed door to tower with 1733 Royal Arms. Memorial slabs: 1643 to Roger Diggens, 1745 to Thomas King. Panelled pews C17, repaired. S aisle has C14 pointed doorway with string and chamfer. C17 door. To W heavy C16 box pew and C12 font, round body, octagonal top. C18 cover. N aisle chantry chapel to Tichborne family, divided off by Elizabeth style railings. E window square headed with nook shafts, C14 rebuilt, to side piscina with bowl. Brass on floor 1519 to Anne Tichborne. On N wall memorials: 1621 to Sir Benjamin Tichborne and wife, 2 recumbent effigies with children below and canopy; 1619 to child Richard Tichborne; 1845 by J E Carew to Sir Henry Tichborne and on W wall monument in pointed recess 1835 to Henry Tichborne Doughty. 5 painted solid boards coats of arms. Roof has chamfered wallplate and ties supported on arch braces on corbels and 'crossed serpentine braces and wind braces.' VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 337-8. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 621-2.

Listing NGR: SU5687230258


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 337-338
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 621-622


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07633/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer Rowney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].