CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1178711
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, TUXFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:59:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, TUXFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Walesby
National Grid Reference:
SK 68501 70754

Details

WALESBY TUXFORD ROAD SK 67 SE (south side) 1/93 Church of St. Edmund 11.8.61 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, partly rebuilt early C16 by Stanhope family, C17, 1886 and 1925. Dressed stone and coursed rubble. Partly rendered. Ashlar dressings. Gabled and lean-to leaded and pantile roofs. Partial chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, chamfered eaves. West tower, nave, chancel, organ chamber, south aisle, south porch. West tower, C15 and early C16, 3 stages. 3 coved string courses, 3 gargoyles and spout, crenellated parapet with Stanhope Arms in panel with hood mould, cusped ogee cutout, and 4 crocketed pinnacles. 2 diagonal buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. First stage to west adjoining C20 boiler house. Above, late C15 triple lancet with ogee and round heads, panel tracery and hood mould. Third stage has 4 louvred double lancets with four centred arched reveals and hood moulds. Nave north side, 3 bays, rebuilt early C16, has 4 buttresses, 2 setoffs, sill band and crenellated parapet. To west, C13 moulded doorway with hood mould, flanked to east by 2 and to west by single C16 triple lancets with trefoil heads, elliptical headed reveals and hood moulds. Clerestory has 3 similar double lancets on each side. Organ chamber, to north, late C19, single bay, C13 style. To north, 2 clasping buttresses, single lancet with hood mould and coped gable with kneelers. Chancel, early C14, 2 bays, has single buttress to north. East end has stepped sill band and C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould with mask crest and single stop. South side has central priest's door with coved four centred arched head and studded C17 door. Flanked by single C17 double lancets with cusped round heads and hood moulds, on different levels. South aisle, C14, 3 unequal bays, has diagonal buttress to west and 2 buttresses to south, 2 setoffs, and coped gables. East end has C15 triple lancet with trefoil heads, Tudor arched reveal and hood mould. South side has to east, C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, square headed reveal and hood mould. To west, and at west end, similar double lancets, that to south heavily restored. South porch, C19, converted to vestry C20. South gable has brick infill with 2 casements, and above, arched tie beam and gable with bargeboards. Inner south doorway, C12, round headed, chamfered and rebated, with hood mould. Nave south arcade, C13, 4 bays, has 3 round piers with chamfered octagonal bases and ringed cove moulded capitals. 2 matching responds. Double chamfered and rebated arches. North side has C19 panelled dado. C19 principal rafter roof with arched tie beams and curved brackets. Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with faceted conical imposts and C20 timber screen. South aisle has to east remains of coved round bracket. Lean-to roof with cusped brackets, 1886. Chancel arch, c.1300, chamfered and rebated arris. C20 Perpendicular style screen. Chancel north side has to west organ case, late C19 in C16 style with stencilled decoration and text. To east, squint converted to aumbry, C20. East end has C20 gradine and tabernacle. South side has to east restored C13 piscina with partial stem and trefoil head. Above it, re-set mask. To right, seat in window recess. C19 panelled wagon vaulted ceiling. Fittings include chip-carved octagonal panelled pulpit, C17. Round tub font on round stem with water holding base, C14. 8 oak benches, C16, with bolection moulding and dentillation. Other benches are C20 copies. C17 armchair with carved panelled back. C18 parish chest. C19 stalls, desks and lectern. Monuments include C14 effigy to Lady Elizabeth Stanhope, C14, re-sited from Haughton. Classical wall war memorial, 1918. Brasses C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK6850170754

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241943
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27476

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13265/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Joseph Pinder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].