CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1179735
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179735.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:42:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mordiford
National Grid Reference:
SO 57047 37449

Details

MORDIFORD CP MORDIFORD SO 53 NE 5/140 Church of the Holy Rood 26.1.67 GV II* Parish church. C12 core with C13 chancel and remaining base (ground stage) of former central tower, remainder largely rebuilt and altered c1811 and further altered during restoration by F R Kempson in late C19. Sandstone rubble and ashlar dressings, tiled roofs. Nave with north aisle and south- west tower, south porch and south chapel; ground stage of former central tower, chancel with north vestry. South-west tower of three stages with parapet and 2-light vent to bell stage, lean-to south porch with open decorative timber supports obscuring inner C12 doorway of nave, semi-circular head with chevron ornament and chamfered label, attached shafts to responds with scallop of cushion capitals and moulded base, 3-light C19 window in gable of chapel to right; 2-light C19 window with plate tracery to central tower, similar pair of C19 trefoil headed lights to chancel. Interior: four- bay nave, largely of C19 reconstruction. C13 east and west tower arches of three chamfered orders. Fittings largely C19. In north wall of chancel late C13 coffin lid with decorative floral and vegetal reliefs; the plain bowl of a font dated 1637 is situated in south porch. Monuments: on east wall of south chapel wall monument to Margaret (Vaughan) widow of William Bridges "who died at her prayers", 1655, stone, niche with architrave con- taining kneeling figure of praying female in contemporary dress, inscription panel below. Before the alteration of c1811, the west gable of the church is said to have had a painting of a large dragon, the legendary dragon of Mordiford. (RCHM Vol II, p 144; BoE, p 256).

Listing NGR: SO5704837451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155001
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 144
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 256

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/15748/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Tudhope. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].