CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179943 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:23:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Brampton Bryan
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 37048 72514
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/03/2017
SO 37 SE, 5/24
BRAMPTON BRYAN CP, Church of St Barnabas
Parish church. Perhaps C14, almost entirely rebuilt in 1656 for Sir Robert Harley, following destruction in 1643. Late C19 alterations and extensions. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings with tiled roofs. Rectangular five- bay hall church, the eastern bay of which is used as liturgical chancel, west vestry, north vestry and south porch. West elevation has large C19 traceried 3-light window, each light with a trefoiled head, under a moulded label. Above is an opening with a cambered head. C19 stack to left. To the right is a blocked C14 arch with a two-centred head partly obscured by early C20 lean-to brick vestry. To each side is a thin weathered buttress. North elevation has five similar buttresses and three cinquefoiled-headed lights with glazed spandrels under outer square head with restored hoodmoulds. North vestry to left has C17 doorway with flat four-centred head and moulded jambs. Its east wall has a square headed light with a continuous hoodmould. East elevation has large C19 east window with mouchettes and quatrefoils in the tracery, five cinquefoil-headed lights and a deeply moulded label with headstops. Immediately to either side are moulded fragments, probably the tops of C17 cornices. One pair of buttresses to corners linked by a string course with central hood over short central pilaster with incised sundial. Verge and gable cross. South elevation has five pilasters and three windows like those on north side. Weathered projection for internal tomb beneath right-hand window. South porch is C19. Arch has moulded two-centred head above which is crocketted ogee- headed niche with C19 figure of St Barnabas holding a scroll inscribed: GOSPEL OF ST MARK. Angle buttresses and gable cross. Each return has a 2- light ogeed light with continuous hood over square head. Above the porch is a C19 gabled bellcot with ogee-headed bell opening. Beneath is a gable-With kneelers, verges and central clock face. Interior of porch has collar purlin, brattished wall-plate and hatchment. South doorway has moulded jambs, moulded two-centred head and C19 oak ledged doors with strap hinges.
INTERIOR has C17 double hammer-beam roof with pendants, the upper portion concealed by boarded ceiling of 1888, rising from five pairs of part rectangular, part columnar wall-posts on square plinths with dentilled cornices supporting brackets with enriched pendants. Moulded wall plates. The end pairs of posts and brackets carry no hammer beams since they are adjacent to east and west walls. South wall has early C14 effigy, of a woman holding her heart in her hands, set in deep recess. Behind the effigy are several medieval floor tiles. At east end of the wall, monument in white marble to Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford, Lord High Treasurer, impeached 1711, acquitted 1717, died 1724. Knotted garlands on two pilasters support a cornice carrying volutes and an urn. Apron with achievement, swags and sconce. Large inscription panel between the pilasters has long paean ending: A soul supreme in each hard instance tried / Above all Fear, all Anger and all Pride / The rage of power, the blasé of publick breath / The lust of Lucre and the dread of Death. Pope.
On the north wall a contemporary, superficially similar but smaller monument for Mrs Sarah Harley, died 1721. Broken segmental pediment, entablature with triglyphs, two fluted pilasters and deep gadrooning to apron. Nearby plain rectangular black marble wall monument with two brass inscription panels to Eliza Casamajor Rogers, died 1849, and Mary Brown, died 1854. Beneath west window a wall monument with draped sarcophagus and dove to Sarah Rogers, died 1816. Inscription reads: SARAHAE AVGVSTAE / CONIVGI DESIDERATISSIMAE / EDVARDVS ROGERS INFELICITER SUPERSTES / VIXIT ANNOS FERME XXVIII / MORTVA, EHEVI DEI DECEMB XXVIII AS MDCCCXVI
On the same wall a slate and marble monument for Charles Rogers, died 1820, has obelisk, urn and inscription "CELERITER ET JUCUNDE". To the right is wall monument to the ten men of the parish who fell 1914-19. Pulpit is late C19, oak, octagonal with C17 tarsia inlays in side panels. Communion rails are late C19 and oak supported on twisted wrought iron posts with brass foliated decoration. Font is C19 with octagonal bowl enriched on its sides with dove, cross, IHS, etc. Bowl is supported on central drum and four shafts. Lectern is late C19 of wrought iron and brass. Four feet and central shaft. Brass book rest with a pair of flanking candlesticks. Harmonium is late C19, French and made of mahogany with scalloping to edges and enriched carriage-handles to ends. Inscribed: ALEXANDRE ET FILS/ PARIS/ ORGUE A PERCUSSION. Mid-C20 organ with oak case inscribed "BISHOP & SON/ LONDON & IPSWICH". Stained glass includes east window of 1888 for Robert and Patience Harley, inscribed I AM THE: RESURRECTION AND: THE LIFE. Easternmost window of south wall is for Frances Murray, died 1892. The adjacent window, c1900 is for Robert Harley inscribed: "I am the Light of the World: Lead Kindly Light". North wall has at its east end a window for John Harley, died 1961, with the motto VIRTUTE ET FIDE. Passage to north vestry has small window of the Child Christ carrying lamb inscribed for SR, 1882, probably a Rogers.
This church is listed Grade I in recognition of its rarity as a church built during the Commonwealth, and in view of the curious architectural features of its interior. (BoE, p 81-2; RCHM, Vol III, p 19).
Listing NGR: SO3705172513
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 19
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (2003), pp. 119-120
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 81-2
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing