CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1180137

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:20:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Carlton Curlieu

National Grid Reference: SP 69362 97257

Details

SP69NE CARLTON CURLIEU

3/22 29.12.66 church of st. mary GV II

Church. C12 tower, restored and partly rebuilt 1685 (dated), rest 1767, altered and restored 1880-1. Course rubble stone and ashlar with quoins, and red brick with stone dressings. Swithland slate roofs with stone coped gable and finial. W.Tower, navem and chancel under one roof, N. vestry and S porch. Unbuttressed tower of 3 stagesm C12 lower 2 of coursed rubble stone, stage, and 4 2-light bell openings with rounded arches, impost blocks, keystones and ver simple curving tracery. Cornice and parapet with corner pilasters surmounted by orbs, the lower part covered with foliage. Rounded arech to nave with zig-zag in soffit, chevron on archb and roll moulding on angle. Impost moulding and scalloped capitals but shafts missing. Nave and chancel are of red brick with stone plinth, buttresses with set-offs, and cornice. 5 windows to S., 4 to N., of 1880 and of 2 lights with simple Geometric tracery. C19 5 bay roof, crown posts and struts from collars. N. vestry , rebuilt 1880. C19 E. window with intersected tracery and stained glass. C19 S. porch wooden open work on stone plinth. N. Windon of vestry has fragments of medieval stained glass. Below is a monument of Sir John Bale, died 1621 and wife. Alabaster and marble with 2 recumbant effigies on a table tomb, the wife behind and higher. The aedicule behind has a central cartouche carved with coat of arms as cresting, and below, on the back platem the couple's children caved in high relief. Strapwork, sheilds and inscriptions round the base of tomb. Georgian Royal Arms painted on canvas. On d N face of tower parapet is inscribed "in the year MDCLXXXV the church and steeple was repaired by Geffrey Palmer Esq, son and heir of \Sir Lewis Palmer of \Carlton near Cottingham inthe Country of Northampton, Barronett." Coat of arms in the centre. To Henry Dormer is attributed the work on the tower. V.C.H. Vol. V, Colvin and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP6936297257

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191044

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

End of official listing