CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1180464
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180464.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:05:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
West Stow
National Grid Reference:
TL 81933 70554

Details

TL 87 SW WEST STOW

6/57 Church of St. Mary 14.7.55

- II*

Parish church. C11, C14 and C15, extensively restored circa 1878 by the Rev. E.R. Benyon. Mainly rubble flint to nave and chancel, with freestone dressings: plaintiled roofs: traces of coursed flints in lower part of south wall of nave. 3 restored windows with reticulated tracery on south side of nave: 2 3-light C14 windows on north side with remains of crown glass, and one C13 lancet window with deep inner splay. C14 windows to chancel: 4-light east window with reticulated tracery. Diagonal buttresses to east end, and a stone string course to north and south walls of chancel, continued as a hood-mould over the tops of the windows and the priest's door. C15 south porch, with renewed timber roof: steep pitch, plaintiles: diagonal buttresses: knapped flint to side walls. Simple C14 south doorway, similar to the priest's door in chancel. The north doorway is the oldest surviving feature of the building: C11, with a plain tympanum, small volutes on the capitals and a heavy roll- moulding to arch. This doorway now gives access to the vestry, added in 1903 to commemorate the reign of Queen Victoria. Large west tower in 4 stages: mainly black knapped flint, with a chequer-work base of flint and freestone and a plain castellated parapet. The east wall is extended to north and south to form 2 angle buttresses: diagonal buttresses at west end, all buttresses faced with freestone and panels of knapped flint. A full height stair turret on the south side. 2-light windows in Decorated style to all 4 faces of the top stage. A similar west window to the 2nd stage has fragments of medieval glass in the top of the lights. 6 bells: the 15 cwt. tenor and the 2nd bell both dated 1631; the 3rd and 4th dated 1629; the 5th 1674, and the treble cast in 1849. The interior fittings and timber roofs all date from the C19 restoration and are in traditional East Anglian style. C14 chancel arch, and an elaborate angle piscina with credence shelf of the same date, crocketted and finialled. Window-sill sedilia. Memorial stained glass windows of circa 1880. 8 traceried and painted panels from the lower part of the rood screen, removed during C19 restoration, are now in the Victoria and Albert Museum (see Munro Cautley, 'Suffolk Churches and their Treasures' p.339).

Listing NGR: TL8193370554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284178
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937), 339

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09040/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G. W. Yeend. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].