CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1180500
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180500.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 05:46:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Box
National Grid Reference:
ST 82306 68481

Details

ST 8268 BOX CHURCH LANE (south side)

3/44 Church of St. Thomas a Becket (formerly listed as Church of St 20 12 60 Thomas)

GV I

Anglican parish church, C12 origins, C14, C15, 1713, 1834 and restored 1897 by H. Brakspear. Ashlar with stone tile and slate roofs. Nave with C14 north arcade, north aisle rebuilt 1713 with C14 north-east chapel, south aisle 1834, crossing tower C14, possibly earlier, with C15 bell-stage and spire, chancel with C12 origins, C14 and 1713 and projecting 2-storey north-east vestry, possibly a priest's house of late C14 or C15. Nave has C15 3-light Perpendicular west window over C16 door in Tudor arched moulded frame with carved spandrels, hoodmould and 6-panel C18 door. South aisle of 1834 with slate roof, regular row of 4 Perpendicular style flat-headed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds and west door in projecting gabled porch. At east end, rubble stone organ chamber, added 1900. North aisle rebuilt 1713 with large north-west angle buttress and 2-light Perpendicular west window possibly original. North side moulded eaves cornice and two 3-light Perpendicular style north windows with dripstone over flanking fine 1760 north doorway. Tuscan-columned surround carrying open segmental pediment over bolection-moulded arched head to doorway with keystone carried up to base of pediment and moulded imposts continued behind columns. East end of north aisle, under continuous roof is Hazelbury chapel with restored C14 intersecting tracery 3-light north window and north-east angle buttress similar to aisle north- west buttress. Crossing tower has plain lower stage, possibly C12 in origins with C14 lancet to north and south and buttresses added in C15 with bell-stage. Bell-stage has a 2-light opening each side, pierced parapet, corner pinnacles and recessed octagonal spire above. Chancel south and east walls were rebuilt 1713, retaining C14 3-light east window. 1713 Perpendicular style 3- light south window and blocked door. North wall has much restored C15 3-light window over 1897 porch. North-east vestry is of rubble stone, coped north gable and late C14 or C15 2-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould and carved label stops. Interior: Nave has broad C19 roof, 1834 4-bay south arcade and C14 north arcade, built in two stages with octagonal piers and caps, moulded pointed arches and hoodmoulds. East bay opens into Hazelbury chapel which has C14 moulded rib vault, moulded arch to north aisle, C14 cusped tomb recess on north wall and fine east wall altar recess with side colonnettes. Tomb recess has resited stone effigy of A. Long of Ashley, died 1578. North window has stained glass of 1899 signed P.H. Newman. North aisle has C18 plastered roof and 3 late c19 or C20 stained glass windows. C15 octagonal font. In nave c1897 stone pulpit. Tower has C14 moulded arches to west and east and blocked north door. Chancel has C18 plaster roof, Gothic altar and reredos (1897 H.Brakspear) with opus sectile tile mosaic panels, attached to a low wall, creating east end vestry space. Blocked north doorway and 1897 north doorway. East window of c1850 in C19 shafted surround. Numerous monuments from C17 to C19, notably, in south aisle c1760 elaborate varicoloured marble wall monument to Margaret Blow and 2 finely lettered late C17 black marble slabs to Sir George and Francis Speke of Hazelbury. In nave, east wall armorial plaque to A. Long died 1578 and in chancel, south wall curved pedimented monument to T. Goddard, died 1691, north wall Baroque plaque to W. Eyre died 1699 and in east end vestry space 3 Northey memorials from 1750 to early C19. (M. & A. Devon: St Thomas A Becket Church, Box, Wiltshire 1984.) -

Listing NGR: ST8230368480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316906
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Devon, M , St Thomas a Becket Church Box Wiltshire, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00078/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kim Aplin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].