CHURCH OF ST JOHN LATERAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1180513
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN LATERAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN LATERAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180513.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:28:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN LATERAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Hengrave
National Grid Reference:
TL 82449 68576

Details

TL 86 NW HENGRAVE

4/46 Church of St. John Lateran 14.7.55 I

Formerly the parish church, now chapel to Hengrave Hall Conference Centre. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north aisle and chapel. Flint walling with limestone dressings, low-pitched metal-finished roofs. Circular tower in coursed flint, possibly pre-Conquest; clock, with hour-hand only, in west face. Round-headed north and south belfry openings. Chancel has late C13 windows, 3- light in eastwall, 2 2-light in south wall. Alterations for Sir Thos. Hemegrave (died 1419) include: south porch, restored C19 in knapped flint with flushwork, with labelled arched doorway, south nave doorway similar but more ornate with angel finials, tall tower arch. Early C16 alterations for Sir Thos. Kitson (died 1540) include: north aisle and chapel with large 3-light windows, raising of nave walls with flushwork parapets, insertion of 2 large south windows, north arcade with clustered columns and small clerestory windows above, arch-braced cambered tie-beam roofs throughout (renewed/heavily restored late C19). A segmental brick rood-stair turret in south wall perhaps C15. South door C15, plain. Octagonal traceried C15 font. Late C13 wall paintings of S.S. Catherine and Margaret on south chancel window reveal. Early C15 painted inscription above south door in porch. Some fragments of C16 glass in aisle windows. Canopied monument to Margaret, Countess of Bath, with her husband, John Bourchier, beside her, and below her first husband Sir Thos. Kitson of Hengrave Hall. An alabaster mural monument to Lord Darcy, also in the chapel. In the chancel is a table tomb to John Bourchier, 1556, who was Lord Fitzwarren. Also a magnificent tomb of Sir Thos. Kitson, son of the above, with effigies of himself, his two wives, Jane Pagett and Elizabeth Cornwallis. A bust commemorates Sir Thos. Gage who lived at the Hall, died 1741. The monuments have much original colour and almost fill the chancel and chapel. For details of church and monuments, John Gage, History of Suffolk, Thingoe Hundred, 1838.

Listing NGR: TL8244968576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
283753
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gage, J, History of Suffolk Thingoe Hundred, (1838)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09296/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G. W. Yeend. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].