CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1180826
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:56:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Ixworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 93140 70390

Details

TL 9270-9370 IXWORTH HIGH STREET (WEST SIDE) 3/2 3.2.50 Church of St Mary

GV I Parish Church. Principally in random flint with freestone dressings. Late C14 south porch in knapped flint, with embattled parapet and flushwork panelling to south face. Late C15 nave with clerestorey: north and south aisles. Nave roof in 5 bays: low pitched, cambered and moulded tie-beams with winged angels at base of braces and along cornice. Similar mouldings on both aisle roofs. Nave and aisle roofs are leaded: money for 'ledying' bequeathed by Robert Garrard in 1533. Floors paved with small C18 tiles in cream and red. Mid C19 pulpit and bench ends: traditional poppy-heads. C15 octagonal font, probably originally on a high base. An iron-bound alms box near the south door. C14 chancel, heavily restored in 1850's. Steeply pitched, plaintiled roof. On south side the priest's door has a holy water stoup set into wall beside it. At the east end, an external niche with cusped head, which probably contained a stone rood. In the south east angle, an external turret for the stair to the rood loft. Roof with alternate arched brace and hammerbeam trusses: spandrels infilled with delicate tracery. C13 double piscina. On north side, tomb chest with decorated pilasters and 3 shields to Richard Coddington (d.1567) and his wife: Italian leaf-carving on rounded arch of back, 3 vertically-placed brasses. Memorial east window of 1860's in Decorated style. Late C15 west tower with 4 diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapet. The plinth, parapet, and the faces of the buttresses have decorated panels and emblems in knapped flint. The third panel up on the south-east buttress has the crown and arrows saltire of St. Edmund and the inscription 'Mast Robt Schot Abot': Robert Schot came from Ixworth, and was Abbot at Bury St Bdmnnds from 1469 to 1474. 3 inscribed tiles, 2 from the south wall, the other from near the west doorway, are now placed inside the base of the tower: those from the south wall are dated 1472; the other reads 'Thome Vyal gaf to the stepil iiij li'. Thomas Vyal left £4 to the building of the tower in his will, proved 1472. This dating evidence indicates that work on the tower began in the 1470's.

Listing NGR: TL9314070390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
283610
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13366/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Storey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].