CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181123
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, THAME ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181123.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:04:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, THAME ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Warborough
National Grid Reference:
SU 59903 93642

Details

WARBOROUGH THAME ROAD SU5993 (East side) 9/147 Church of St. Lawrence 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Early C13, C14 and C15; tower 1666; chancel restored 1881 by Bodley and Garner. Clunch rubble and flint with limestone dressings; old plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, south transept, west tower and north vestry. C13 chancel has a C14 east window, with Reticulated tracery, a C15 window of 2 cinquefoil lights, to north, and a similar window, to south, between a 2-light C13 window, with plate tracery, and a C13 doorway, with roll-moulded outer arch and detached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. South transept has a 2-light window with Reticulated tracery. Flint-walled nave has segmental-arched windows with Perpendicular tracery (one C19) and a south doorway with a moulded arch sheltered by a C19 timber-framed open porch. Nave roof has 2 dormers with elaborate C19 barge boards. 3-stage crenellated tower has walls of banded flint and stone, with chequered Dctagonal corner turrets, and has 4-centre arched openings with recessed spandrels and labels. West wall has 1666 in flushwork. Interior: east window has detached jamb shafts, with stiff-leaf capitals, from an earlier window, and there are remains of similar arcading in the south wall. Nave and chancel have 7-canted coupled-rafter roofs, probably C14, and the plastered tympanum, above the C19 chancel screen, is painted on the east with C17 Prince of Wales feathers and the monogram "CP". Fittings include a small octagonal C17 pulpit and a C17 parish chest. The Romanesque lead font has arcaded sides and stands on a C14 stone base with traceried panels; the strapwork cover is probably C17. Glass includes medieval fragments in the chancel north window, 2 late-C19 stained-glass windows, and 3 early C19 windows by A.J. Davies. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.821-2).

Listing NGR: SU5990393642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248178
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 821 2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10922/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].