CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1181243
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, UPPER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181243.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:16:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, UPPER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Rattlesden
National Grid Reference:
TL 97805 59049

Details

RATTLESDEN UPPER STREET TL 95 NE 3/120 Church of St. Nicholas - 15.11.54 GV I Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower and north vestry. Mainly flint rubble with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs to nave and chancel, flat roofs to aisles. Parapets and parapet gables throughout. C13 features: good south doorway with 3 orders of roll moulding, keeled or filleted, twin attached shafts with bell capitals. Above the doorway is a C13 circular window, and a weathering for an early porch. Much early C14 rebuilding: tower with shallow clasping buttresses, gabled at the head with grotesque corbels. 2-light belfry windows with unusual tracery. Shingled spire. 5-bay nave arcade with heavy capitals and fluted octagonal piers; at the head of each is a cinquefoil beneath the capital. C14 north doorways in nave and chancel, and to vestry. An aumbry with gabled head rising from grotesque corbels and with flanking shafts and damaged pinnacles. Later C14 wide chancel arch: The aisles have large traceried early C15 windows. In the east wall of both aisles are well carved but mutilated image niches; the niche in the south aisle has areas of colouring, and adjacent is a piscina. A rood loft stair is in the south wall, indicating a former parclose screen linking with the main rood screen (both existing screens and lofts were added in 1909/16). Later C15 tall windows in chancel. Fine C15 clerestory: embattled parapets with extensive flushwork incorporating a wide variety of emblems. Large 3-light windows. A double- hammerbeam nave roof in 10 bays: 3 tiers of restored angels at each truss and a frieze of angels and crowns above a moulded cornice. Chancel roof of C15, boarded with trefoil coving, moulded ribs and cornice and foliate bosses. Aisle roofs with arch-braced principals also C15. All roofs much restored. South porch added c.1476: the south wall is entirely of freestone with traceried panels and an image niche. The parapets are also of panelled freestone, continuous with those of the aisle. The clasping buttresses at the west corners match those in the tower, but the pinnacles were added in 1883. The sacristy was added in C15 to north of chancel, and formerly had a chamber above: the upper floor structure was removed in C19. Fine mid C14 octagonal font: each face of the bowl has a cusped ogee-headed arch with buttresses rising from grotesque corbels, and the stem is also traceried with slender buttresses. A C15 slab in the nave floor with brass sinkings for three figures, and another with single brass sinking. A further slab beneath the altar in the chancel is to James (1587) and Dorothy (1617) Ryvett of Clopton Hall. Ten C17/C18 marble slabs in chancel floor, some with achievements. C17 octagonal pulpit with arcaded panels. Turned altar rails of late C17. Some restored C16 poppyhead benches in south aisle.

Listing NGR: TL9780559049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280873
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11477/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Katie McAndrew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].