CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1181258
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:59:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
North Moreton
National Grid Reference:
SU 56206 89569

Details

NORTH MORETON CHURCH STREET SU5689 (South side) 13/117 Church of All Saints 14/06/63

GV I

Church. Early C13 nave and chancel, chantry chapel of c.1300, early C14 south aisle and tower, C15 alterations, south porch and restoration c.1858 by G.E.Street. Banded flint and sandstone to south aisle; flint, with some flint and stone to chantry chapel; ashlar sandstone to tower with some areas of knapped flint; old plain-tile roof to nave and chancel; copper sheet roof to south aisle; roof to chantry chapel and tower not visible. 4-bay nave and south aisle, 3-bay chancel and chantry chapel, west tower. Mid C19 stone gabled porch to centre of south aisle with 2-centred archway and 2-centre arched doorway with plank studded door with wrought iron hinges. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to left and right. Parapet to roof. 2-centre arched doorway with C19 plank door with wrought iron hinges to left of chantry chapel. Three 3-light intersecting tracery windows. Tower to left: slit windows, paired lancet louvred openings to bell stage. Balustrade with open quatrefoils to top. Right return: chancel window of 3 lights with cinqfoil pointed heads. Chantry chapel window, 5-light geometrical tracery of unusual design with 2-centre arched head. Rear: two 2-light Y-tracery windows to chancel. 3-light curvilinear tracery window to left of nave. 2-centre arched blocked doorway to centre, truncated to base. 2-light reticulated tracery window to right. Left return: Tudor-arched door to base of tower with quatrefoil spandrels and moulded hood. 3-light Perpendicular tracery window above, probably C20 repair. Paired lancet to end of aisle to right. Interior: wood barrel-vault roof to chancel. 4-bay crown post roof to nave. Perpendicular roof to chantry chapel. Lean-to roof to south aisle with braces to nave arcade. Mid C19 marble and stone reredos, with mosaic panel to centre, to chancel. Y-tracery former window between chancel and chapel. Arcade of 2 two-centred arches between chancel and chapel. 2-centred chancel arch on half-columns. Mid C19 octagonal wood pulpit to left. Road screen doorway to right. Arcade of 4 two-centred arches between nave and aisle. Round stone Romansque font on square base with C19 wood cover. 2-centre corbelled archway to tower. Fine C14 stained glass to east window of chantry chapel. Angle piscina to right of 2 ogee-headed arches with pierced vesica between the heads with 2-centred arched hood moulds, all supported on circular shaft with moulded cap and base. Three C13 tomb slabs to chapel floor. History: chantry chapel built at expense of Sir Miles de Stapleton. (V.C.H.: Berkshire Vol.3,1923, p.495-7. Buildings of England, Berkshire, 1975, p.186-7).

Listing NGR: SU5620989570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248730
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 495-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 186-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/10539/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Fiona Tankard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].