THE VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1181318
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
THE VICARAGE, GREEN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181318.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 08:59:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE VICARAGE, GREEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoxne
National Grid Reference:
TM 18070 77541

Details

HOXNE GREEN STREET TM 17 NE 7/81 29.7.55 The Vicarage II Vicarage. A very complex house with work of late C15, early-mid C16, C17, early C18 and 1870. Substantially reduced in size c.1960 by demolition of some rear additions. The main elements are a hall range to the front, a rear range parallel to it, a cross-wing to the left and a small wing to the right, behind and at right angles to the front range. Timber framed: most of the front has C16-style imitation studwork with herringbone brick nogging, added in 1870; a small section plastered with coved eaves cornice. Remains of old panelled plasterwork at rear. Plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys; attic only in cross-wing. Casement windows. 2 ground floor bay windows with plaintiled roofs and to the left a projecting first floor window on brackets, all of 1870. Central gabled porch, the upper floor overhanging at the front; open entrance has carved spandrels; partly-glazed studded door. The porch is dated 1870 together with the initials of Edward Paget, the vicar at that time. Front gable end of cross-wing preserves some late C15 work, although much restored in 1870 to match the remainder of the front. Jettied first floor carried on original fleuron-enriched brackets supported by carved buttress- shafts. Overhanging gable on plain brackets. Original close studding. Some applied moulded joists added during restoration. Heavy ridge stack at junction of cross-wing and hall range. Another stack, perhaps early C17, against right gable end of hall range. Internally, nearly all the timber- framed structure is concealed. A little studding in one first floor room in hall range. Ground floor room in cross-wing has good complete early C18 raised and fielded panelling with a matching 6-panel door of the same period. Several early C18 2-panel doors. To rear an early C19 well stair with stick balusters and carved tread-ends. Much simple detail of early-mid C19. Roof over hall range has queen posts and king posts, the latter rising mainly from the tie beams and supporting a ridge piece, with 2-way bracing to it. No smoke blackening. The end towards the cross-wing has an open truss over a first floor chamber. Here the king post is chamfered and carried on the collar, which has shallow-curved solid braces meeting at the centre (a raised- aisle form). There are 2 intermediate trusses with shorter arched braces to the collars and no king post. This work is early-mid C16 in date and probably replaced an earlier hall range which may have been contemporary with the existing cross-wing. Original side-purlin roof over cross-wing, with ashlar pieces to principal trusses. The rear range, later than the front, has been re-roofed at a shallower pitch: some sooted rafters and others formed from halved moulded joists from a jettied range. Substantial remains of surrounding medieval moat.

Listing NGR: TM1807077541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281022
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].