CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181692
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181692.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:36:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Upton Scudamore
National Grid Reference:
ST 86472 47674

Details

UPTON SCUDAMORE UPTON SCUDAMORE VILLAGE ST 84 NE (south side) 8/214 Church of St Mary the Virgin 11.9.68 GV II* Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C18, restored 1855 by G.E. Street. Rubble stone and dressed limestone, tiled roofs with coped verges and cross finials. Nave, north chapel, chancel, west tower and north porch. Gabled porch with C19 double chamfered doorway and string course. Nave to right has restored lancet. Early C14 north chapel to left has C19 group of 3 cusped lancets, reset Medieval grotesque mask over west buttress, diagonal buttress and 3 stepped cusped lancets to east. Chancel has C19 pair of lancets to north, diagonal buttresses and C19 stepped lancets to east, south side has 2-light plate tracery window and lean-to C19 vestry with tile-hung south side, 3 stepped wooden lancets to east, cusped bargeboards. South side of nave has blocked 3-bay arcade with plate tracery windows in right hand bays and-double chamfered pointed doorway with planked door and rose window over to left hand bay. Three-stage tower of 1750 has set-back buttresses, string courses, C19 plate tracery window to ground stage, C18 semi- circular headed leaded window to second stage and bellstage with quatrefoil pierced louvres with clock face, C19 battlemented parapet and string course, lead rainwater goods. Interior has fine C12 north doorway within porch; attached shafts with scalloped capitals to zig-zag moulded round arch, partly restored, inserted pointed moulded doorway and cusped image niche in tympanum. Stone benches and doorway to chapel. C19 four and a half-bay nave roof with cusped arch-braced collar trusses, curved windbracing. C19 double chamfered tower arch, good 1850s cast- iron spiral staircase with raised and pierced decoration. Scudamore chapel with 2-bay double chamfered arcade on cylindrical pier with moulded capital; braced collar rafter roof; contains two damaged effigies and a fragment of a carved Crucifixion, from the demolished Crucifix Cottages, Norridge. Double chamfered chancel arch with attached shafts, 3-bay cusped braced collar truss roof, polychrome tiled floor and fittings by Street: sedilia and piscina on south wall, organ case, choir stalls, communion rail, altar, wall lights, C13-style rere-arches to east window with 1850s glass. Other fittings: wooden pulpit on stone plinth by Street, C12 cylindrical stone font with bands of lozenges and triangles, Street cover, good pews. Monuments in chancel include a group to Seaman family; marble to Lionel Archdeacon of Wells died 1760 by Reeves of Bath, two C17 tablets to William and Lionel Seaman, brass on north wall to Elizabeth Hungerford died 1632. Group of C18 and early C19 marble tablets in Scudamore Chapel to Pearce family and one to John Barton died 1783, by Reeves of Bath. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST8647247674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313853
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14181/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steven Vaux. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].