CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1181830
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181830.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 23:55:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Fressingfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 26155 77483

Details

TM 27 NE, 10/21

FRESSINGFIELD, CHURCH STREET,

Church of St. Peter and St Paul

29.07.55

GV

II

Parish church. Medieval; restored 1870 and 1888. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings; the side walls of the chancel are plastered. Leaded roofs.

Early C14 square tower in four stages, with crenellated parapet. 2-light belfry openings. C15 aisles with largely original windows. The north aisle was extended to the east in early C16 to form a Guild Chapel, re-using a doorway and window of early C14 date from the chancel. 6-bay clerestorey with C15 2-light windows. At the east end of the nave roof an ornate original sanctus bell turret. Fine south porch of c1420 with C19 restoration: flushwork-panelled facade with enriched entrance arch; above are two Tudor roses in square panels. 2-light parvis window flanked by empty canopied niches and 3-light traceried panels. Stone parapet with quatrefoils and cresting. Tierceron vault with carved bosses, springing from C19 corbels. Medieval nave door. Early C14 chancel, considerably restored in C19: an original window to the north and two C15 windows to the south. C19 4-light east window in Perpendicular style, shafted internally with foliage capitals.

INTERIOR: Three-bay aisle arcades. Fine C15 single hammer-beam nave roof with a wide enriched cornice. C15 arch-braced chancel roof. Much of the north aisle roof is medieval: there are pierced spandrels and the wall posts rest on corbels carved as heads. In the south aisle an ogee-headed cinquefoil piscina. In the sanctuary an elaborate canopied piscina and triple sedilia, originally early C14 but nearly all renewed late C19. Plain octagonal font of medieval date. A very fine set of eighteen late C15 poppyhead benches, all with carved ends and back-rests, and some retaining carved arm-rests. The two westernmost benches have backs carved with twelve square panels, each to a different design. Some other benches incorporate C15 carved components. Dado of C15 rood screen with traceried panels.

Listing NGR: TM2615577483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279970
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11035/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].