CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181836
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NUNTON VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181836.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:51:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, NUNTON VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Odstock
National Grid Reference:
SU 15932 26044

Details

SU 12 NE ODSTOCK NUNTON VILLAGE (west side)

5/149 Church of St. Andrew

23/3/60

II*

Anglican church. C12 and C13, rebuilt 1854-5 by T. H. Wyatt. Knapped flint with limestone dressings and some brick banding, tiled roof with coped verges and finials. Consists of rebuilt 3- bay nave, south aisle, chancel and Lady Chapel and south porch and south west tower of 1854, with north vestry and organ chamber remodelled in 1933. Gabled south porch has inner and outer pointed doorways with hood mould and foliated terminals. South aisle has one pair of cusped Iancets and a single cusped lancet with stone crucifix and 1914-18 war memorial between. Lady Chapel has pair of C13 cusped lancets and pair of trefoiled lancets, east window of chapel is pair of cusped lancets. East window of chancel is 3-light Geometric style with hood mould and foliated terminals. Vestry has 2-light C16 style window to east and 3-light C16 style window, chamfered square-headed door and single light to north side, west window is single cusped lancet. North side of nave has three 2-light Geometric style windows, all with hood moulds and foliated terminals. West window of nave is 2-light in Geometric style with hood mould and foliated terminals, multifoil circular window over. 3-stage tower has pointed west door with hood mould and foliated terminals, lancet to 2nd stage and 2-light pointed unglazed window with plate tracery to north, west and south sides of 3rd stage, battlement parapet. Interior: 3-bay nave has arch-braced collar truss roof on stone corbels. South arcade consists of two double-chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical piers, of C13, south aisle has collar rafter roof. Chancel arch is double chamfered and springs from square piers with unusual palm-carved capitals, possibly C17, chancel has braced collar-rafter roof. 2-bay Lady Chapel has two chamfered pointed arches on square piers of late C12 leading to chancel, and barrel-vaulted roof, plain piscina on south wall. Two double- chamfered pointed arches lead to vestry of 1933 from chancel. Fittings include original Victorian pews. Some fine wall tablets include slate memorial to Charles Hartshorne died 1644, large white marble memorial with tWo classical female figures to John Batt of New Hall (died 1831) by Sir R. Westmacott on south wall of nave, and several tablets to Batt family in Lady Chapel and nave such as one to Martha Batt died 1765 signed by F. Brown of Salisbury. Late C19 stained glass in Lady Chapel, east window is signed by Christopher Webb, 1937. The church has never been a parish church, but was a Medieval chapel of ease. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: SU1593226044

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319530
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/215741

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05293/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Geraghty. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].