CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181876
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181876.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:32:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Orcheston
National Grid Reference:
SU 05893 45646

Details

ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. MARY SU 04 NE (west side) 2/192 Church of St. Mary II* Anglican parish church. Mid-C13, tower c.1300, C16 chancel rebuilt 1833 during major restoration. Flint and limestone, Welsh slate roofs. Consists of nave with south aisle, chancel, south-west tower and south porch. Gabled porch of 1833 has diagonal buttresses carried up to pinnacles, hollow chamfer Tudor-arched door and pointed niche in gable over. To right, south aisle has one 2-light ogee-headed window in square surround, east window of aisle is c1400, pointed with 2 ogee cusped lights, string course at eaves level and plain parapet with saddleback coping. Chancel has hollow chamfer pointed priest's door, to left is 2-light C16-style window and to right is single C16-style light, both with hoodmoulds. To east 2-light Tudor-arched window with cusping and hoodmould, with tall pointed niche to either side, north side chancel has one lancet and one 2-light pointed window with hoodmould. North side of nave has central 3-light C16 window with interlaced pointed heads and hoodmould, to either side is 2-light cusped window with dripmould. West end has 3-light C16 window with hoodmould. Square 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, south side has single lancet to ground floor and 2-light cusped lancet to second stage, string course to bell stage, north and west faces have blocked cusped lancets, south face has gilded clock face, pitched roof. Interior: early C13 inner door has continuous large roll moulding, early C19 6-panelled double doors. Mid-C13 2-bay south aisle has pointed arcade on cylindrical column and responds, double-chamfered arches. 3-bay C13 nave has tie-beam roof with chamfered beams and struts with cusping against principals, like lights. Double- chamfered pointed chancel arch. Plain chancel rebuilt 1833, has ribbed roof, east end has blind arches either side of window, corresponding with external niches, and separated by attached shafts. 1833 fittings include fine altar and octagonal font with traceried panels, octagonal pulpit in same style. 1860s polychrome tiled floor and pews. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)

Listing NGR: SU0585945665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319828
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10587/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].