Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181921.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 12:25:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Oxford (District Authority)
Old Marston
National Grid Reference:
SP 52723 08881


MARSTON ELSFIELD ROAD SP50NW (North side) Old Marston 4/133 Church of St. Nicholas 18/07/63


Church. C13; externally C15 and Cl6. Limestone rubble and ashlar; stone-siate and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. C15 chancel, with moulded plinth, has side windows of 2 cinquefoil lights under labels with carved square stops, a Tudor-arched priests door with carved foliage in the spandrels, and a 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. The south aisle, with steep-pitched roof, was rebuilt in 1562 and has a moulded string under the eaves, a re-set C15 window in the ashlar south wall, and 2 uncusped 2-light windows. The porch has a 4-centre arched entrance, with wrought-iron gates, and shelters a re-set Decorated doorway. The manopitch-roofed north aisle has 2-light windows and, to east, 3 graduated cinquefoil lights. Clerestory has 2-light windows. C15 tower has 2-light belfry openings and corner gargoyles below a crenellated parapet; 3-light west window has Perpendicular tracery. Interior: C13 chancel arch and nave arcades of 4 bays to north and 3 to south. Chancel has elaborate C19 arch-braced collar-truss roof; C15 nave roof has cambered tie beams and moulded purlins; north aisle roof is of similar character; 5-bay south aisle roof has queen-post trusses, moulded tie beams and curved windbraces; porch has coupled-rafter roof. Medieval encaustic tiles in chancel floor. Fittings include many C15 and C16 bench pews in nave, and return stalls in chancel with medieval poppy-head bench ends; C17 communion table and turned rails; C17 hexagonal pulpit on single stem with arched panels and tester; C17 screen in tower arch with pierced flat balusters. Stained glass includes many C15 fragments in the heads of lights and some old geometrical glazing in one chancel light, plus C15 panels inserted into east window. Traces of medieval wall painting over the chancel arch. Monuments include a large alabaster wall monument to Richard Croke (died 1683) with an elaborate frame and double pediment. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire, Vol.V.; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.699-700).

Listing NGR: SP5272208881


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 699-700
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Dec 2003
Reference: IOE01/11278/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].