Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182200.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:21:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 14843 68693


SU 16 NW FYFIELD - 9/33 Church of St. Nicholas 27.2.58 II* Anglican parish church, C13, C15 and restored 1849. Flint, with interspersed limestone. Limestone ashlar west tower. Lead roofs to nave, aisle and chancel tiled. Nave with mid C19 north aisle, south porch and west tower. Simple chancel. Open timber gabled porch on stone low walls. Two light nave windows with quatrefoil heads. Lancets to chancel, probably a rebuild of an original early C13 chancel with corbel table. South priest's door. West tower of C15, of 2 stages with angle buttresses and 3-light west window over square headed door. Two light bell openings. Crenellated parapet with pinnacles. Chancel has heavy pilaster buttresses with pyramidal tops. Interior: Nave has north arcade of 2 bays, double chamfered arches on an octagonal column, probably a replacement of C15 original. C15 roof of 4 bays with shallow pitched tie beams trusses infilled with swirling mouchettes, carrying moulded purlins and ridge. Tower arch with square imposts and tall arch, the intrados panelled. Nineteenth century chancel arch leading to a 2-bay chancel, C13 but much restored in C19. Shafts with water-holding mouldings to bases and stiff-leaf capitals in east corners, also a C13 capital built in as shelf. Pretty internal columned rere- arches to triple east lancets. East wall has moulded tiling below string. Fittings: All C19, the joinery boldly moulded with some carving. Font: limestone, C12 form with narrow intersecting arches on bowl. Pulpit has trefoiled panels with relief Christ and saints. Two sided reader's desk, and sanctuary rail. C19 screen to tower has C17 Flemish (?) panels with the Annunciation, Nativity, the Bearing of the Cross, and the Betrayal/Denial. Monuments: In nave, a wall tablet, late C18. Various marbles. Triangular top with urn, arms on apron lost. To James Shipton, died 1793, wife and daughter added later. Under tower, 3 wall tablets. South wall, early C18, various marbles. Panel with flanking pilasters, cornice with painted arms. To Edmund and Ann Fitz James, died 1716. North wall: C18 white marble on grey, panel with cornice and apron, to Nicholas Dymore, died 1804, and another, similar, not identified.

Listing NGR: SU1484368693


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03689/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Domeracki. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].