CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182389
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182389.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 04:35:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Wangford with Henham
National Grid Reference:
TM 46592 79119

Details

TM 47 NE WANGFORD HIGH STREET (south side)

7/52 Church of St. Peter and - St. Paul (formerly 27/11/54 listed as Church of St. Peter)

GV I

Parish church. Mid C15 nave, north aisle and north porch; restored 1864-70. Tower of 1864; chancel and south vestry of 1875, all by E.L. Blackburne in a modified Perpendicular style with French Gothic influence. Random flint rubble, stone dressings; pantiled roof to nave, plaintiled roofs to chancel and vestry, all with crest tiles. The tower is at the east end of the north aisle: square, with angle buttresses at the corners and a staircase turret at the south-east angle; various moulded stone string courses; large 2-light bell chamber openings, each with 3 blank quatrefoil panels at the base; crenellated parapet with panelled flushwork and crocketed pinnacles. 3-bay aisle with 3- light Perpendicular windows. Simple porch, slightly earlier than the aisle to which it is attached: there is a moulded entrance arch with an empty cusped niche above. C14 moulded arch to nave doorway. To the west the nave has flanking turrets capped by spirelets and a 4-light window; to the south are 3 3-light perpendicular windows and 3 flying buttresses. 2-bay chancel; 4-light east window below which is a flushwork frieze and inscription to Johannes Rous, Earl of Stradbroke, dated 1875. Both nave and chancel have flat parapets. Interior. 3-bay aisle arcade, the eastern bay formed in mid C19. Both the nave and aisle are unusually wide. 4-bay C15 nave roof: arched- braced embattled tie beams alternate with high collars; at the apex are large bosses, some in the form of human heads. 3-bay C15 aisle roof. Ornate 4-bay chancel roof with arched-bracing and angels at the foot of each wallpost. C15 octagonal font with a quatrefoil panel to each face of the bowl. Fine reading desk and pulpit with much elaborate inlaid work: these were orignally part of one C17 structure at Henham Hall. The chancel has good choirstalls and elaborately-carved stone reredos, piscina and sedilia, all of 1875. In the aisle are wall monuments to Sir John Rous (1652) and John Rous (1771); on the south nave wall are monuments to John, First Earl of Stradbroke (1827) by Behnes, and to John Rous (1730): a rococo cartouche against an obelisk, with 3 winged cherubs beneath. Several windows with late C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: TM4659279119

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/14581/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Durrant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].