CHURCH OF ST MARY LE MORE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182404
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY LE MORE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY LE MORE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182404.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:06:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY LE MORE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wallingford
National Grid Reference:
SU 60712 89327

Details

WALLINGFORD MARKET PLACE SU6089SE (South side) Wallingford 11/115 Church of St. Mary-le-More 09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Mary)

GU II*

Church. Tower of c.1653, church of 1854 by David Brandon, with C20 restoration. napped flint with stone dressings; flint and stone mixture with stone dressing to tower; C20 plain-tile roof. 3-bay nave, 4-bay aisles, 3-bay chancel and west tower. Early English-style. Plank door to 2-centred arched doorway with gabled porch to left of centre of north aisle. 2-centre arched doorway to right of chancel with plank door. Geometrical tracery windows to all openings except 3-light intersecting tracery window to left and end of north aisle. Tower has octagonal corner turrets with C20 fibreglass replacement pinnacles. Perpendicular 2-light stone mullioned louvred opening to each side of top of tower, that to north obscured by clock face. Battlemented parapet. C20 refaced stone stair turret to rear. Interior: C19 marble reredos and sanctuary area with Salviati mosaic bands. Piscina and sedilia to right of chancel. Arch-braced roof to chancel. Early C20 Perpendicular-style wood rood screen with painted carved figures. Arch-braced roof to nave with 4-light dormers forming clerestory. Arch braced roofs to aisles. Pulpit c.1888 of grey-veined white marble with bronze panels of saints by Onslow Ford. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.539; Buildings of England: Berkshire, 1966, p.247-B).

Listing NGR: SU6071289327

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249278
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 539
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 247-8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10763/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline A. Jorgensen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].