CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182475
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182475.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:40:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wattisfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 01030 74191

Details

TM 07 SW WATTISFIELD THE STREET (EAST SIDE)

3/101 Church of St Margaret 15/11/54

GV II*

Parish church. Some earlier fragments, but mainly C15; C19 restored. Random flint, but some sections on the south side more carefully coursed; freestone dressings; old plaintiles to nave and porch roofs, slates with remains of decorated ridge tiles to chancel. Nave, chancel, north and south porches, west tower. Stepped buttresses, faced with freestone and panels of black knapped flint, to the north and south walls; diagonal buttresses to the east end of chancel. 2 3-light and one 2-light window to north side of nave, one 2-light and one 3-light to south side, all in Perpendicular style with traceried heads, partly restored. 2 2-light similar windows to north and south of chancel, and a 3-light east window with central embattled transome infilled with 6 stained glass panels, inserted in 1864 as a memorial to the Rev. William Hepworth (1759-1841), curate of Wattisfield for 48 years. Pointed priest's door on north, ogee-moulded, continuous arch. C14 timber north porch: entrance arch with ovolo-moulding, rebated and pintle-hinged for a door; substantial rafter roof with later bracing; side walls with an upper row of closely-set chamfered Jacobean mullions, originally forming an open balustrade, now boarded externally. Cusped timber arch above the north door, which has a C14 pointed continuous arch with ¼-round mouldings and drip-mould. C15 south porch, now used as a vestry: faced in black knapped flint mixed with small rubble stone blocks; diagonal buttresses with remains of flushwork panels, including the crowned MR monogram and a wheel; continuous entrance arch with flushwork panels to each side. Top of walls and gable rebuilt in Tudor red brick: the apex bears a much-damaged shield in brickwork with the arms of de la Pole, and a sundial, and is topped by an ornate cross. Similar crosses at the east end and above the chancel arch. Small unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages divided by string courses. Flushwork base with a trefoil arcade. A 2-light traceried window to each face of the top stage; different 2-light windows to the 2 lower stages on the west; 2 tiny slit windows and a quatrefoil for the internal stair on the south side; plain crenellated parapet. Interior much restored in 1872. Chancel, with renewed roof, has a large C15 rectangular piscina in the south wall with ogee-moulded surround and a C19 cusped ogee arch. Various wall memorials; mid C19 black ledger slab on floor to the Rev. William Hepworth, his wife and son. C15 chancel arch. Complete rood stairs in south wall of nave. Fine octagonal Perpendicular font: panelled tracery to each face of the wide stem, blank shields to the faces of the bowl. Ornate octagonal Jacobean font cover, the ribs carved with scrolls and beaked bird or dragon heads, a ball and spike finial on top. Plain medieval rafter roof with scissor-bracing. Some sections of the medieval chancel arch screen are incorporated in the prayer desk and lectern. Early C14 tower arch.

Listing NGR: TM0103074191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281846
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03587/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Karen Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].