HEMINGSTONE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS ON THE SOUTH WEST SIDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182536
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
HEMINGSTONE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS ON THE SOUTH WEST SIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEMINGSTONE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS ON THE SOUTH WEST SIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182536.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 01:50:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
HEMINGSTONE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS ON THE SOUTH WEST SIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemingstone
National Grid Reference:
TM 13928 53723

Details

HEMINGSTONE TM 15 SW 6/111 Hemingstone Hall and 9.12.55 attached garden walls on the south-west side

- I

Former manor house. Early C17, perhaps 1625, for William Style (d.1655). Red brick, largely encasing near-contemporary timber-framing; this suggests a timber-framed and plastered house, remodelled and enlarged in brick soon afterwards. Alterations principally of 1741, also in red brick. Bands-of moulded brick at 1st floor and at eaves cornice. Dutch gables to two set- forward cross-wings,with moulded brick copings; parapetted parlour-wing-side walls. Plaintiled roofs; two small dormers of c.1800. External C17 chimneys of red brick, the bases are moulded and the shafts plain and oblong. 2 storeys and attics. Plain chamfered window openings to hall range; original, but with C19 wooden small-pane casements. A pair of 2 storey splayed bays with shallow hipped roofs, C19 but probably a reconstruction. Good original 2-storey brick entrance porch with Dutch gable, with stucco doorway: a segmental-headed opening in a sunk frame, with a pair of stilted Tuscan pilasters, entablature and obelisk finials above; original moulded window at 1st storey, with C19 wooden casement; the inner doorway has a moulded oak frame and original panelled door. In the hall is a moulded arched fireplace, and extensive but altered wainscotting incorporating friezes and pilasters. A ground floor room has a 10-light wooden ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window. A chamber has a good original fireplace with carved overmantel, wainscotting and blocked ovolo-mullioned wooden window. A well staircase in the parlour wing has enriched square newels and turned balusters. Several other rooms have complete C17 and C18 panelling and other joinery. Some early wall painting is believed to be concealed beneath panelling. A block was added in double-pile fashion to rear of hall range in 1741: red brick with a band at 1st floor and parapet, small-pane sashes with cambered heads (thick glazing bars at ground storey only). To right of the main range is a further cross-wing, probably of c.1741: red brick with small-pane sashes (thick glazing bars at ground storey), timber-framed and plastered at the rear. A garden to the south-west is fully enclosed by a brick wall attached to the house: oblong, 50m x 35m x 3m high, of red brick in English garden wall bond, probably C18 but incorporating some earlier work.N.M.R.

Listing NGR: TM1392853723

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279730
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09490/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].