CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182550
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH WALK
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, THE GREEN WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182550.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:44:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH WALK
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, THE GREEN WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Long Melford
National Grid Reference:
TL 86509 46760

Details

THE GREEN WEST 1. 5377 Church Walk Long Melford Church of the Holy Trinity TL 8646 20/449 23.3.61. I GV

2. A magnificent example of late perpendicular clerestoryed nave and chancel rebuilt on the site of an earlier church between circa 1460 and circa 1495. The 5 west bays have the C14 piers of the earlier church. The Lady Chapel, added to the east end, was built by the Cloptons of Kentwell Hall in 1496 and the west tower was built between 1898 and 1903 to the designs of the architect G F Bodley. The length of the church, including the Lady Chapel is some 250 ft. The church is of flint and stone with richly ornamented flushwork on the south side. The nave and chancel has a castellated parapet with flat roofed north and south aisles. A notable feature of the exterior is the extensive series of memorial inscriptions exhorting prayer for the souls of the many who contributed to the building of the church and their families, which extend in decorative bands round the church. From these inscriptions the building of the church can be closely dated. The clerestory 1481, the south chapel 1484 and the Lady Chapel 1496. The nave and chancel has fine moulded arch braced cambered beams with carved spandrels with moulded ridge beams, purlins and joists. The Lady Chapel, built separately from the church, is linked to the chancel by single storeyed vestries. It is designed as an interior shrine surrounded by an ambulatory, with fine moulded cambered beams and joists to the roofs. The Clopton chapel, to the north of the chancel has a number of good C15 and C16 brasses and the Clopton chantry which adjoins on the east has the monument to John Clopton (d 1497), a plain tomb chest of Purbeck marble. In the chancel, immediately south of the altar is the large and elaborate monument to Sir William Cordell, Master of the Rolls (d 1581), designed by Cornelius Cure, master mason to the crown. In the north wall of the nave there is a fine, small, bas relief in alabaster of the Adoration of the Magi (dated circa 1350) probably from the earlier church. Graded for its outstanding architecutral, historical and topographical value.



Listing NGR: TL8650946760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
278200
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00922/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J.M. Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].