CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182616
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, SOUTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182616.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:16:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, SOUTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Wishford
National Grid Reference:
SU 08055 35503

Details

GREAT WISHFORD SOUTH STREET SU 03 NE (west side) 3/19 Church of St. Giles 23.3.60. GV II* Anglican parish church. C13 chancel, C15 tower, 1863-64 restoration by T.H. Wyatt. Flint and limestone chequers, tiled roof with fishscale tiles. Plan: west tower, nave with aisles, chancel, south porch, north-east vestry. Gabled C19 porch has moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould, pair quatrefoils to sides, coped verge. South aisle has 2-light C16 cusped square-headed window with hoodmould to left, 3-light to right of porch, string course to parapet with saddleback coping. Nave clerestory with three 2-light C16-style cusped windows, east end aisle has one cusped C16-style window with hoodmould. Chancel has blocked hollow-chamfered south door, 2-light square-headed window with pointed lights and blocked window, east end has three C13 stepped lancets with hoodmould carried over each, stone sundial to left. North-east vestry rebuilt early C20 with flat roof and elliptical- headed doorway, rainwater head dated 1861. North aisle has 2- light, 3-light and 1-light ogee cusped C15 windows with hoodmould, C19 planked door to basement, parapet same as south. Nave clerestory same as south side. West end has 2-light Perpendicular windows to aisles and 2-light C14-style window to nave. Three- stage west tower with angle buttresses and string courses, square- headed chamfered lights and gilded clock faces to second stage, bellstage has 2-light cusped pointed Perpendicular windows with louvres, heavily moulded string course with gargoyles to parapet with pierced quatrefoils and moulded battlements with crocketed corner pinnacles. Interior: Moulded pointed C19 inner doorway with planked door. C19 nave has 3-bay arch-braced roof on corbels with carved angels, collar trusses to half-bays. Three-bay arcades with cylindrical piers to moulded pointed arches, hoodmoulds with foliated terminals. C19 double cyma-moulded tower arch. C19 pointed chancel arch on corbels with short Purbeck marble shafts, hoodmould. Short chancel has panelled wagon roof, C19 C13-style piscina with inscription to Frederic de Veil Williams, died 1863. 1860's glass in east window. Very fine marble tomb on north wall to Richard Grobham, died 1629, with barrel vaulted ceiling, recumbent effigies of Richard and wife Margaret, composite columns to cornice with pinnacles and heraldic arms, restored 1804. Recumbent knight in ogee crocketed recess in north aisle probably Nicholas Bonham, died 1386, Edith de Bonham tomb with recumbent figure in C19 arch. Pre 1707 Royal Arms in north aisle. Fittings; C12 cylindrical font with zig-zag and scalloped pilaster ornament, C19 pews, pulpit and brass candelabra, Lavers and Barraud stained glass in west window and in north aisle to Lord Herbert of Lea. Wall tablets reset in tower include classical marble to Ann Birch died 1808 by Osmond of Sarum, black marble to Richard Grobham, died 1703, marble to Daniel Oland died 1737 and to Trubridge family 1786 onwards. Manual fire engine said to be early C18 and good C17 parish chest in north aisle. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0805535503

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320454
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10363/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].