LANGLEY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182682
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
LANGLEY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANGLEY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182682.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:29:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANGLEY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Leafield
National Grid Reference:
SP 29527 15510

Details

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD SP 21 NE 3/43 Langley Farmhouse - - II* Fragmentary royal hunting lodge. Partly circa 1478 and partly C18, largely remodel- led 1858. Rubble stone with Cotswold stone roofs. Rectangular main range with lower L-plan (1858) extension to south-east. Tudor and free Tudor style. The east (entrance) front is 2½ storeys with gabled porch and half-glazed door; the main interest is two reset panels with HE (Henry VII Tudor and Elizabeth of York) and, now mostly broken, entwined roses between the floors. The main (south) range is in 3 parts with a definite break roughly left of centre and a less evident break where the gabled extension to the right is. One range of moulded arch stair lights to left (and a further one in return gable) and a shallow 2-storey angled bay with 2-light mullion windows with moulded arch heads and ferramenta. To right of this, ie to right of the emphatic break, are 3 windows, somewhat irregular, cross mullion type with C20 casements, some have the keyed lintels and reveals of the 1858 work, but 2 on first floor to left retain early C18 appearance. The right-hand 1858 part breaks forward and has mouldings to cross-mullion windows. The rear is irregular partly 3-storeyed and with a heavy partly moulded wall-plate. Interior: the west bay is of great interest. On the ground and first floors there are 2 doorways into the east wall; it is divided into two, the south part being for a (? redesigned) staircase whose main feature is "HE" (Henry VII Tudor and Elizabeth of York) with entwined roses in the soffit of the oriel bay window; the north part which is entered from arched doorways off the stairs, has a room on each floor; on the first floor with a high moulded cornice presumably of the late C15. This building is sited in a complex of earthworks which suggest that it is only a small part of a range stretching north-south. In the C15 the manor had belonged to the Nevilles; it passed to the Crown in 1478 and much building was carried out by Henry VII; the Court resided there as late as 1614. Associated earthworks are AM Oxon 122. M Groves: The History of Shipton-under-Wychwood (1934).

Listing NGR: SP2952715510

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251754
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Graves, M , The History of Shipton under Wychwood, (1934)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12764/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].