CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182735
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182735.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:02:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Eaton Hastings
National Grid Reference:
SU 26281 98558

Details

EATON HASTINGS SU29NE Church of St Michael 2/75 21/11/66 GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C13 but restored in 1870, 1872 and 1895. Rubble stone with a gabled stone tiled roof. 3 bay nave, 3-bay chancel, S porch and W bellcote. 2- and 3-light Early English lancets to S wall of nave, blocked Norman doorway, one Early English lancet on N wall of nave. W window of 3 stepped trefoiled lancets with quatrefoils above. Single lancet windows to N and S walls of chancel, E window of 3 stepped pointed-trefoiled lights. C19 porch with gabled stone tiled roof and a C13 S doorway with a rounded-trefoiled head. C19 gabled bellcote. The S aisle has disappeared leaving an aisleless interior with the remains of an Early English arcade on the S wall of the nave of plain character. Also an Early English cusped tomb recess on S wall. Deep splays to the Norman and Early English windows on N wall. Chancel arch is Transitional with abaci of saltire crosses but a pointed arch with a slight chamfer. Early English sedilia in the chancel - a recess with 2 half shafts on heads and with stiff leaf capitals. Also a trefoil-headed piscina. Open rafter roof throughout with tie beams, queen posts and tier of wind braces. Fine set of stained glass by Morris & Co: 1874 nave N side, St Matthew with Angel by Edward Burne-Jones; 1877 chancel N side, Christ walking on the water also by Burne-Jones; 1935 W window, St Raphael after a design by William Morris, St Michael after a design by Ford Madox Brown and St Gabriel after another design by Morris. E window by Clayton and Bell depicting scences from the gospels. Polygonal Jacobean pulpit with much strapwork and arcading. Font also Jacobean - an octagonal stone base with octagonal bowl and contemporary wooden cover with a crucifix supported by 4 brackets. A C Sewter, The Stained Glass of Williams Morris and his Circle, 1975, 2, 67.

Listing NGR: SU2628198558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251544
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sewter, A , The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, (1975), 2 67

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00284/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J. Ragon-Chambers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].