CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182784
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182784.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 17:46:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Gisleham
National Grid Reference:
TM 51417 88571

Details

GISLEHAM CHURCH ROAD TM 58 NW 3/20 Church of Holy Trinity - GV I

Parish church. Medieval; restored 1861, 1887 and the chancel in 1902-8. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, originally plastered; stone dressing. Slated roofs. Round tower of C11 or earlier date; the tower arch and a blocked east window are C12. C14 octagonal belfry stage and crenellated parapet, both of knapped flint; there are 2-light belfry openings to 4 quarters, that to the south now altered. C12 nave with C14 2-light windows, mostly original. To the north is part of a C12 doorway with colonettes and scalloped capitals. C15 porch, with knapped flint facade and flushwork panels to the plinth and buttresses; the moulded entrance arch is enriched with various carved motifs, and above is an empty statue niche with mutilated flanking angels. The parapet has carved stone shields. 2-bay chancel: probably C12 core, with C14 window openings; internally the north and south openings have moulded surrounds, those to the south also being shafted. The windows have been renewed, including the 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Interior. The capitals and part of the responds of the chancel arch remain, together with the crenellated rood beam, but the chancel has been re- roofed at a lower level and the upper part of the arch has gone. Early C14 angle piscina (mutilated) in south chancel; adjacent is a drop-sill sedilia, the seat being formed by an early tomb slab. C15 octagonal font: lions against the stem, heads and vine foliage to the underside of the bowl and cusped bowl panels with alternate heads and shields. The 2 easternmost north nave windows have well-preserved C15 paintings in their eastern reveals; they show figures of female saints with rays and angels above. To either side of the tower arch are C19 copies of the Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed.

Listing NGR: TM5141788571

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282049
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00422/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].