Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182858.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Apr-2020 at 22:29:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Waveney (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 52775 86266


KESSINGLAND CHURCH ROAD TM 58 NW 3/29 Church of St. Edmund -

- I

Parish church. Mid C15 tower. The remainder of the church has been rebuilt as follows: chancel, south aisle and south chapel pulled down late C16, and the south arcade infilled to form the present south nave wall; north nave wall collapsed 1668 and rebuilt 1694-5 slightly inside the old alignment; chancel added 1908, vestry added 1980. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry; detached remains of south aisle in churchyard. Mainly flint rubble with stone dressings; the north nave is red brick with some burnt headers. The nave roof is thatched, the chancel plaintiled. Fine 4-stage tower, 30m high, of knapped flint with flushwork to the plinth and buttresses; stone string courses; later flat parapet of red brick. The west doorway has jambs and arch in 2 orders, decorated with various motifs including fleurons, mitre, crown, anchor and shields; label mould supported by lions, with angels in the spandrels. 3-light west window, flanked by tall canopied niches, now empty. Between the window and doorway is a frieze of wavy quatrefoil tracery and a central figure of St. Edmund. 2-light windows at ringing chamber level, 3- light belfry openings. The south nave has a range of 4 renewed 2-light windows in Perpendicular style; the porch is dated 1578 with the initials 'RB'. The north nave wall has 3 late C17 cross windows under segmental arches; mid C20 glass. A buttress has a stone inscribed 'John Camp 1695'. The chancel is in Perpendicular style; to the south is a re-used 3-light C15 window. Interior. The 6-bay south aisle arcading is still visible; it extended a little further east than the present chancel arch. At the west end of the north nave wall is the inscription 'This Church was put Out and Rebuilt by the care of John Campe & Thos Godfery Gent in the Year 1694 and Finished in 95'. Fine C15 octagonal font: canopied figures on the bowl panels and against the stem, angels with outstretched wings on the underside of the bowl. Arms of George II in base of tower. The furnishings are mostly C20. Graded I for medieval work, notably the tower.

Listing NGR: TM5277586266


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00422/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].