CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1182887

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 16:20:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Felixstowe

National Grid Reference: TM 29584 35634

Details

FELIXSTOWE HIGH STREET, WALTON TM 2935 NE (north side) 6/19 Church of St Mary 21.6.49 II*

Parish church. C14 origins, altered and extended 1857-1899. South west tower, nave south aisle, chancel, north-transept, south vestry. Septaria brick, flint, stone dressings, tile roofs. Tower rebuilt 1899 in perpendicular style. 3 stages, the lower 2 of uncoursed flint, the upper stage flushwork panels. Angle buttresses to 2nd stage. South doorway of multiple mouldings. Corner turrets to upper stage. Nave, mostly C14, south aisle c1860 on site of earlier aisle. North wall septaria, west wall and aisle uncoursed flint. North wall 2 C19 windows in Decorated style. 2 blocked original openings. West window C19 in C14 style. 3-bay south aisle of 2-light windows in C14 style. Chancel. South wall C14 of septaria, brick, tile. East wall rebuilt 1866 with C14 style window. North wall and transept, brick. South wall has C14 priest's doorway, beneath hood mould with figure stops. INTERIOR: 3 bay south arcade of octagonal piers. 8 bays of queen post roof supported on cambered tie beams. Some original collars and original purlins and rafters. All obscured by C19 plastered ceiling but supported by visible 2 bay structure. Rebuilt west end of nave has C19 scissor braced roof. South aisle C19 queen strut roof. Chancel. Blocked C19 doorway in south wall. C19 hammer beam roof. Dado of C15 screen with blank traceried panels. Font mid C15 octagonal East Anglian type, the stem flanked by 2 lions and 2 woodwoses, supporting bowl of alter- nating panels of lions and angels, and with angels bearing shields on underside. Bell c1500 'Sancte Johannes ora pro Nobis'. Purbeck memorial slab and brasses of William, died 1459, and Alice Taberd, (brasses reset in south wall.) Brass memorial to Willaim Symond born 1601, died 1612, with kneeling effigy and acrostic verse. Septaria buttress of earlier church tower stands to south west of present tower.

Listing NGR: TM2958435634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286262

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing