CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182897
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182897.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:22:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stowlangtoft
National Grid Reference:
TL 95782 68202

Details

TL 96 NE STOWLANGTOFT THE STREET

2/131 Church of St. George 15.11.54

GV I

Parish church, c.1370-1390 for, principally, Robert Dacey de Ashfield. Restored 1855-6 by William White. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint and limestone rubble with freestone dressings. Flat roofs behind parapets and parapet gables. Much chequerboard flushwork: in a frieze at the base, on parapets and buttresses, and on the south face of the porch. On the parapets over the porch is arcading filled with flushwork. A fine series of grotesque gargoyles, and the base of a gable cross. Very tall and narrow 2- light window to nave and chancel, broad east window with complex tracery. Moulded porch doorway with shafts whose mouldings suggest reuse from an earlier C14 building. Inner doorway with original plank door and ironmongery. Interior: In the chancel is a shafted piscina and adjacent window seat sedilia. A further piscina in the south nave wall. Arch-braced tiebeam roofs: in the nave there are grotesque corbels beneath the wall-pieces of each truss, and the square-set purlins are archbraced with corbels to the tiebeams. Painted canopy of honour to the easternmost bay. Lower part of C15 rood screen remains, with original paintwork to the framing: the tracery includes carved figures. Roodloft staircase in north wall. Octagonal limestone font with figures beneath arches on each face of the bowl, and fluted stem. Fine C15 benches in the nave, incorporating clapboarded dado. Poppyhead bench-ends with tracery below, and upon the buttresses stand a wide variety of carved figures. Fine C15 choirstalls, with much high-quality carving including traceried panels and figures standing on the bench-ends. The misericord seats have complete figure carving beneath. Painting of St Christopher on north wall of nave. C15 stained glass in heads of nave windows at west end. Monument to Paul D'Ewes in chancel, by John Johnson of London, 1624: kneeling figure with two wives, son and seven daughters. Monument to Sir Willoughby D'Ewes (d.1685): an open pediment on twisted columns. Medieval slab in chancel floor with indents for brass figures and shields. Brass inscription on north chancel wall to Paul D'Ewes (1630). Several C16 and C18 floor slabs, some with coats of arms. The church is of outstanding interest as a closely-dated example of a single-phase late C14 building.

Listing NGR: TL9578268202

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281234
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10001/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Storey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].