CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1182968
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOWESTOFT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182968.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:23:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOWESTOFT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Worlingham
National Grid Reference:
TM 44510 89836

Details

In the entry for the following :

TM 48 NW WORLINGHAM LOWESTOFT ROAD 5/62 Church of all Saints - - I

The grade shall be downgraded to grade II*

------------------------------------

WORLINGHAM LOWESTOFT ROAD TM 48 NW 5/62 Church of All Saints - - I Parish church. Medieval, considerably restored 1873-4. Nave, chancel, south chapel, west tower, north porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings; plaintiled roof. C15 knapped flint tower with 4-stage diagonal buttresses to the west and a crenellated parapet enriched with flushwork; the tracery to the belfry openings is missing. 3-bay nave with 2-light windows in Perpendicular style, mostly renewed C19; C14 nave doorway. C15 porch with 2-light square headed side windows. In the south nave wall is a semi-circular headed niche containing a much-weathered coat of arms, and below a tomb chest to John Felton (1703). 2-bay chancel with C19 windows in Perpendicular style. To the south of the chancel is a C15 3-bay chapel. Interior. 2-bay chapel arcade; to the west of the chancel arch is a further bay, perhaps later, with carved heads against the capitals. The east end of the chapel is used as a vestry, the doorway having carved label stops. The chancel arch and all the roofs were renewed mid C19. Good arched-braced nave roof of 4 bays with intermediate trusses between; each main truss carries a crown post braced one-way to the collar purlin; there are also side purlins and arched wind-bracing. Boarded wagon roof to chancel. Restored piscina in chancel and another simpler one in the chapel. C15 carved octagonal front on a 2-stepped base, the upper step with quarterfoil tracery to the riser. A screen below the tower arch incorporates 2 traceried panels from the dado of the former rood screen. The furnishings are largely mid and late C19, but 6 C15 poppyhead bench ends remain in the nave. On the north west nave wall is a Cl7 painted wooden panel commemorating 2 members of the Duke family. In the chapel is a good marble wall monument by Chantrey to 2 members of the Sparrow family who died in 1809 and 1818. 2 early C16 effigy braces to Nicholas Wrenne and his wife have been remounted on the north chancel wall.

Listing NGR: TM4451089836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282213
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05622/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Keith Drewery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].