CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1183123
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183123.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:39:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Shadingfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 43485 83797

Details

SHADINGFIELD LONDON ROAD TM 48 SW 3/33 Church of St. John the 1.9.53 Baptist GV 1

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1839 and 1870's. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, the nave plastered, the chancel with remains of plasterwork to north and south; stone dressings; red brick porch. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, plaintiles to porch. C15 square tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses decorated with flushwork and crenellated parapet; some later repair work in red brick. 2-light west window with empty statue niche above; 2-light bell-chamber openings with later alterations in red brick. Late C12/early C13 work to nave: 2 small semi-circular headed windows to north and south at west end; north and south doorways, both with pointed arches, the arch to the north doorway enriched with dogtooth moulding. The nave also has 2 2-light windows with Y tracery to the south and one 3-light Perpendicular window to the north, all restored. Early C16 brick porch with embattled parapet and polygonal buttresses; some ornamental courses of bricks with flower motifs. Chancel probably C13: one lancet window to north, 2 2-light windows with Y tracery to the south with a Priest's doorway between; C19 3- light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior. C19 arched-braced roof to nave (plastered); chancel roof also C19. Niche of banner stave locker north of tower arch. No chancel arch; at the entrance to the chancel are 2 stone corbels in the form of pairs of heads which probably once supported part of the rood loft. Simple pointed-arch piscina in south sanctuary,with sedilia adjacent. Good C15 octagonal font, the bowl carved with shields and flowers within foiled surrounds; 8 attached shafts to the stem; base with 4 raised steps like a Maltese Cross, the step ends carved, (cf. All Saints, Laxfield). Arms of Charles II on south nave wall. The organ, which stands at the west end of the nave, has a good late C18 case. In the chancel are several C17 and early C18 ledger slabs and brass inscriptions to the Cuddon family.

Listing NGR: TM4348583797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281992
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/07266/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].