CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1183154
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183154.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:11:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cricklade
National Grid Reference:
SU 10134 93862

Details

SU 19 SW CRICKLADE HIGH STREET (west side)

13/145 Church of St. Mary 17.1.55 GV II*

Former Anglican parish church of Cricklade St. Mary, now Roman Catholic parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C19. Limestone rubble. Stone slate roof. It comprises a nave, north and south aisles, chancel and west tower, with north chapel to chancel. Aisles have wide C19 three-light cinquefoil windows with labels. Chancel 2-light plate tracery, also C19. No clerestorey but two 3- light gabled dormers on south. chapel is C13 with mid C14 three- light cinquefoil window and angle buttress. Open south porch. Clock of 1863 on east gable of nave and sundial dated 1822 replaces earlier on south chancel wall. Interior: Nave of 3 bays, C12 with chevroned and cable moulded chancel arch, on scalloped caps, and C13-C14 three-bay arcades of 4-centred arches on octagonal columns. Simple chamfered tower arch to C13 tower, the chamfers with small trefoiled gable stops. Open C19 timber roof. Chancel C14 rework of Romanesque chancel extending it to east. Nave moulded arch on north to chapel, now organ chamber. Squints to aisles. C19 roof. East window 1862-3 by Galpin of Oxford. Fittings: Font: C13 inverted column base on possible Roman capital as base, reset in C19. Pulpit: Mid C17 half-octagon oak with arcaded panelling. Altar table 1627 with stretchers between turned legs and carved fasciae. Organ by A.E. Pease of London. Other fittings C19. Furnishings, C18 brass candelabra and oak document chest. Church was further restored in 1908 and 1963-4 before redundancy in 1981. Parish amalgamated with St. Sampson's 1952. Excavations of 1964 suggest that the north chapel walls are founded on Anglo-Saxon work associated with the town wall. (Thomson & Taylor in W.A.M 60 (1965), 75 and 61 (1966) 38.f.)

Listing NGR: SU1012893865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
317795
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology' in Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology, , Vol. 61, (1966)
'Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology' in Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology, , Vol. 75, (1965)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/02267/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Melvyn Gigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].