CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1183185
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183185 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:39:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Witnesham
National Grid Reference:
TM 18002 50903

Details

TM 15 SE WITNESHAM CHURCH LANE

1/37 Church of St. Mary

- I

Church. Mediaeval; several alterations in C19, the main phase in 1845. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south-west tower with porch. Vestry added 1868. Flint rubble, mainly plastered apart from tower; freestone dressings. East chancel wall rebuilt c.1800, mainly of limestone rubble (the east window, in the Decorated style, was described as 'modern' by D.E. Davy in 1827. Nave roof slated, chancel roof plaintiled, aisle roof leaded. The plain south chancel doorway is probably C13; its C17 door has reused C14/C15 hinges and closing ring. Major alterations in early and mid C14; a number of Y-traceried windows and a large 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. 2-bay south aisle, the arcade having heavy capitals and bases; the 3-light east aisle window is flanked by image niches, and nearby is a piscina for a side-altar. Plain C14 north nave doorway (now blocked), and beside it and opposite a single-light window each with cusped head. Tower added mid C14 with crenellated and flush- work panelled parapets; 2-light belfry openings and lion-head gargoyles. The simple early C14 south doorway was reduced in size mid C14, and given a moulded stone frame; the door has original ironmongery, and cusped framing at the head. Over the outer doorway is a clock by Fordham 1737, and an earlier sundial (said to be of 1729). The nave walling was raised mid C15 and given 2-light clerestory windows; good 6-bay moulded hammerbeam roof with arch- braced high collars. The roof was ceiled below the collars in C17 with moulded plaster ribs. Good octagonal C15 limestone font with figures and shields on alternate faces of bowl, and animal sculpture around the stem; high octagonal plinth. Fine octagonal pulpit of c.1600 with carved and arcaded panels. Benches are mainly of c.1845 by Henry Ringham; a number at the west end have reused poppyhead standards from C15 benches, and a choir-stall also has a well-carved C15 end. On the nave walls are 13 panels with scriptural texts painted in early C18, directly onto the wall-plaster (there is one more in the chancel). On painted boards are The Lord's Prayer, Credence and Ten Commandments. Another panel is painted with the arms of King Charles II. 3 good early C19 wall tablets to Revd. John King and members of his family, and another to Philip Meadows of Bergersh House. In the chancel floor are 5 ledger slabs of C17 and C18, and in the nave floor a further 7. A fragment of C14 stained glass in the south-west nave window. Glass by Baillie, c.1846, in the east window, and by Ward and Hughes c.1873 in the nave.

Listing NGR: TM1800250903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285999
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09490/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].