Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183381.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:16:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 00093 38524


WYLYE FISHERTON DE LA MERE SU 03 NW ( north side) 2/124 Church of St. Nicholas 23.3.60. GV II* Anglican parish church, now redundant. Early C12, C13, C15, restorations 1833, 1861 by W. Hardwick and 1912. Chequered limestone and flint, tiled roof with ornamental tiles to chancel roof, Welsh slates to nave. Plan: Nave, north transept, chancel and north vestry, south tower over entrance. Double chamfered archway to porch at base of two-stage tower; diagonal buttresses, moulded niche over doorway and blocked square chamfered window over with cast-iron plaque recording the 1833 rebuilding by John Davis Esq., east and west sides have square chamfered windows with louvres, string course to Cl9 bellstage with 2-light louvred pointed windows to all sides, battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave wall to right of tower contains fragments of C12 chevron from an archway, two 2-light restored C14 pointed windows, buttresses with offsets. Chancel with C19 roll-moulded string courses and three restored lancets, corbel table, east end has two C13 lancets with hoodmoulds and central pilaster buttress, C19 quatrefoil over, coped verge wth cross finial, north side has three restored lancets, corbel table. Lean-to vestry against north transept has chamfered and cusped lancets. North transept has C19 Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould. North side of nave has two C19 Perpendicular windows, buttresses with offsets, east one with reset scratch dial, west end has chamfered pointed doorway and 3-light Cl9 Perpendicular-style window, diagonal buttresses. Interior: Plain chamfered inner doorway with C19 panelled doors. Nave has plastered ceiling, 1830's gallery at west end up stairs. Chancel screen and rood loft by F.C. Eden 1912; finely carved Perpendicular-style with open traceried panels and solid newel stairs. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch with broach stops and C12 paired half-shaft responds with carved capitals resembling drapery, chancel has panelled wagon roof, original C13 rere-arches to north and east end, restored on south side. Fittings: Minton tiled reredos, plain pointed piscina on south wall, brass candelabra in chancel. 1912 pews, C17 freestanding octagonal pulpit with strapwork frieze, from East Anglia. C12 limestone cylindrical font. Royal Arms of George III over south door. 1830's grisaille-style glass. Monuments include 1624 Crockford tablet with bas-relief carving of figure in bed and another in shroud, Cl9 marble tablets by Osmond of Sarum to Davis family and by King of Bath to John Davis, died 1791. Elaborate C19 prayer board on south wall of nave. Church now in care of the Redundant Churches Fund. (NMR; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0009338524


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/02996/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].