- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HEALE HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183383.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:39:38.
- Statutory Address:
- HEALE HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 12857 36405
SU 13 NW
8/240 Heale House
Large house, 1670-1700 for Robert Hyde, incorporating parts of
house of 1571 for Gerard Errington, greatly extended 1898-1910 by
Detmar Blow and Billerey for the Hon Louis Greville. Flemish bond
brickwork with stone dressings on flint chequerwork sills. Lead
and tiled roofs. Two storeys, cellars and attics. Southern end a
C17 five-bay house returning approximately 4 bays, considerably
extended to north after 1894 to provide a symmetrical west front of
9 bays, and large drawing room added to east. Minor alterations to
north front in C20. South front has quoined central bay with
pediment, set forward. Glazed door in moulded stone surround with
broken pediment. Moulded stone cross windows of c1900 replace
sashes. Roof hipped. West front has 3 central bays with central
boarded door in stone architrave and triangular pediment. Stone
cross windows, those to ground floor with cornices. Niche central
on first floor. Short forward wings either side, with blind arched
niche on ground floor with broken pediment, cross windows above and
steeply gabled pediment. Facade mostly by Blow, reworking the
earlier building from central door to right. Two end bays each
side also have cross windows, but left bay has projecting stone
stair tower, being client's alteration to Blow's design. Four
hipped dormers and brick stacks. North front similar, the tall
entrance door and eared bolection moulded doorcase with frieze
over, moved C20. Eastern drawing room block is of 5 bays, central
3 bays quoined, and very tall doorcase with scrolled broken
Interior: Entrance hall has plaster ceiling with pendants by
Jacksons, strapwork design leading through to main stair hall, with
excellent mid C17 oak stair with heavy turned balusters and ball
finials, possibly from London. Painted ceiling in mid C18 mode.
Panelling from Newport Pagnell. Sitting Room to left, early C18
panelling and stone fireplace. East drawing room has carved wood
caryatid fireplace in wide recess flanked by Corinthian columns.
Elaborate cornice. Ceiling dome removed C20 and pediments over
doorways etc. Design by Blow based on Lord Aberconway's House in
North Audley Street, London. Office at end of stair hall has
French baroque panelling and ceiling by Jacksons in C18 style.
South west room has fine stone chimneypiece and plaster ceiling.
Dining Room has wood carved overmantel, believed to be original
from small panelled room, and pendant strapwork plaster ceiling by
Jacksons. First floors in concrete. The house is set amid
outstanding gardens by Harold Peto, with stone balustrades and
various walls and structures including Tea House and Japanese
bridge (q.q.v.). The house occupies a site of an earlier house,
where Charles II stayed following the Battle of Worcester (1651)
pending his flight to France.
(R.E.D.A. 1911; Country Life, February 27 1915; Original plans in
British Museum; Pevsner: Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; RCHM
Listing NGR: SU1285736405
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Country Life' in 27 February, (1915)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing