CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1183419
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BLUNDESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:45:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BLUNDESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet
National Grid Reference:
TM 49305 97211

Details

SOMERLEYTON BLUNDESTON ROAD TM 49 NE 4/29 Church of St. Mary 27.11.54 II* Parish church. C15 tower, otherwise rebuilt 1854 by John Thomas; chancel extended 1974. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble faced in knapped flint with stone dressings. Slated roofs. Square tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to the west face; 2-light belfry openings. Tall stepped parapet added 1854: this formerly had tall crocketted pinnacles at the corners. Below the parapet is a string course with gargoyles. 4-bay nave with 4-centre arched 2-light windows. The chancel is in the Decorated style, with a single 2-light window to the side walls and a 3-light east window. Interior. The nave and chancel have open rafter roofs with scissor-bracing to the main trusses. Well-preserved C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels carved with alternate lions and angels bearing shields; angels to the bowl underside and 4 lions against the stem. C17 font cover. Over the south doorway is a medieval stone slab with 4 well-carved panels depicting the emblems of the Evangelists; this was discovered in 1854. Fine C15 rood screen: crocketted ogee arches and pierced Perpendicular tracery above; the dado has 16 panels with painted figures, mostly of saints. C19 wooden reredos and pulpit in Gothic style. In the sanctuary is a stone tomb chest to Sir Thomas Gernegan (1446): the chest is decorated with lozenge panels within which are quatrefoils containing shields. On the north chancel wall is a large monument to Sir John Wentworth (1651) and his wife: black and white marble, with 2 free-standing busts framed by columns which carry an open segmental pediment. On the south chancel wall is the bust of Sir Thomas Allin (1686), Admiral of the Fleet. One north nave window has 2 C14 Flemish stained glass panels originally taken from St. Olaves Priory.

Listing NGR: TM4930597211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282380
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08237/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Preston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].