- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- COUGHTON COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183632.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 03:33:25.
- Statutory Address:
- COUGHTON COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 08299 60605
1/144 Coughton Court
Country house, Gatehouse late C15, and after 1518; early and late C16; late C17 additions; west front remodelled 1780; additions and remodelling of 1835(VCH). Limestone ashlar gatehouse. Timber framed with lath and plaster infill; brick; imitation stone render. Tile and lead roofs; brick stacks, U-plan, formerly courtyard. 2 and 3 storeys; 13-window range. Entrance (west) front symmetrical. 3 storey central gatehouse range has moulded plinth and double string course. Square ground floor with corner turrets. C19 Gothic panelled part-glazed double-leaf doors in 4-centred moulded arch with square head, hood mould and carved spandrels. Stone mullioned and transomed windows with arched lights throughout. Upper floors of different coloured stone. 2-storey canted oriel with flanking lights and glazed octagonal turrets; 2 transoms on first floor, one on second. Shield of arms on each floor. Turrets continued up another floor'; left turret unglazed. Remainder 2 storeys only. Single 5-light window with transom and hood mould. Clasping buttresses with quatrefoil panels projecting above roof. Crenellated parapets with string course throughout. Remainder of front of ' scored imitation ashlar with stucco hood moulds. Ground floor has leaded 2-light casements, 3 slightly recessed bays have Gothick sashes and moulded surrounds on first floor. Projecting end bays with clasping buttresses. First floor: leaded cross windows. String course above first floor. Attic with quatrefoil panels, some part glazed. String course and crenellated parapet. Right return side of thin bricks. Two C17 shaped gables with stone coping. Left gable between 2 external brick stacks; right gable has ball finials. 5-window range, mostly C17 stone cross windows. Narrow gabled wing set back. High single-storey range with early C20 window, and plaster eaves cove. East front of gatehouse has unglazed turrets and inscription over entrance. Irregular ranges to courtyard. Timber framed with brick ground floor. Corresponding small 4-centred door. Irregular fenestration with moulded stone mullioned windows ground floor, wood mullions and casements above; some with transoms. 2 storey south range has close studding with middle rail. Left section breaks forward and has 4 framed gables with brackets. Entrance in recessed bay below third gable has 4-centred moulded doorway with square head, hood mould and carved spandrels. Paired 6-panelled doors with Gothick overlight. Right section has 2 large gables, and another behind and above in roof, with decorative panel framing. Elaborately carved scrolled bargeboards with finials and openwork pendants. End wall has gable. Ground floor has 2 stone cross windows with arched lights. Blocked arches above and in centre. 2-storey and attic north range. Close studding. 3 large framed gables and smaller end gable all with casements and brackets. Ground floor has four 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. First floor projects on plaster cove. Blank gabled end wall. Left return side: range of c.1690. Scored render with quoins. 3 projecting bays with hipped roofs. 4-centred doorway. Slightly projecting first floor. Irregular fenestration with wood mullioned and transomed windows. Interior: Entrance Hall with plaster fan vault. Late C18 open well cantilevered staircase with moulded soffit and simple handrail; Gothick plasterwork cornice. Drawing Room has simple early Cl6 stone fireplace. Windows with C16,C17 and C19 armorial glass. Gothick plasterwork cornice. 6-panelled doors. Little Drawing Room has C18 style carved wooden fireplace. Newel staircase to roof. Tower Room has moulded 4-centred fireplace with carved spandrels and projecting top. Two 4-centred doorways. North east turret has 2 hiding places. Dining Room and Tribune have fine C16 panelling possibly with later work, turned balusters, grotesques and medallions with heads. Fine marble chimneypiece with paired Ionic and Corinthian columns, cartouche and coat of arms, Saloon, formed 1910, has arcaded panelled screen c.1660 (VCH) to Tribune.
C16 double-flight staircase from Harvington hall with heavy turned balusters and square newel posts with finials. Study has fine C17 panelling with pilasters. Ground floor with broad-chamfered ceiling beams. North range has part of a fine C16 panelled timber cieling with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Dog-leg staircase with C17 turned balusters. The Throckmortons were Catholics, and were deeply involved in the Throckmorton plot of 1583. In 1605 the wives of the Gunpowder Plotters awaited news at Coughton. In 1688 the east wing was destroyed by a Protestant mob, and was finally cleared away in 1780. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, pp.75-78; Buldings of England: Warwickshire, pp.245-6; Coughton Court; The National Trust 1984).
Listing NGR: SP0831160624
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Coughton Court, (1984)
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 75-78
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing