CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1183690
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183690.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:36:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Allington
National Grid Reference:
SU 20054 38562

Details

ALLINGTON BOSCOMBE SU 23 NW (west side) 4/5 Church of St Andrew 18.2.58 GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C15, refitted 1633, repaired 1755 and restored 1936-8. Flint with limestone dressings, tiled roofs. Nave with western bell turret, chancel and north chapel, now vestry at right angles to nave. South nave door with chamfered round arch and mass dial on jamb. Two-light square headed trefoiled windows, east chancel wall rebuilt 1755 with 3-light window and blind spandrel. Small timber window with iron casement lighting pulpit. North door to chancel also chamfered and east door to vestry, retaining cross boarded C17 door and lock. Vestry remodelled raised in C17, has 5-light transomed and ovolo moulded north window. Square turret, clad in shingles and pyramidal tiled roof. Bench mark on south-west quoins. Interior: Nave has C19 trussed rafter roof, and bracketed truss supporting turret. Walls whitewashed over C18 and earlier paintings. Chancel divided off by beam and plastered spandrel over in lieu of wall, brackets to beam removed. Chancel roof, C15, also trussed rafters to carry plaster vault, now removed. Moulded tie beams and wall plates. Walls whitewashed. No piscina or aumbry. Fittings: Font, a simple tub with base torus set on short column, medieval. C17 cover with turned baluster supported by simple ogee brackets. Pulpit dated HS.1633.ID, panelled, the upper panels carved, reset over 6 steps and provided with panelled tester in 1709. C17 box pews, probably also 1633, reworked in C19. Panelled screen to large opening to vestry and panelled door. Monuments: In nave, north wall. A marble scroll with tie on grey marble field, by Osmund of Sarum, to Ellen Atkins, died 1851. In chancel: White marble tablet on grey, by Sanders of London, to Winifred Anne and Elizabeth Faucett, died 1830 and 1851, draped urn over. East wall, an oval white panel on grey, to Rev John Jennings, died 1763. Over chancel beam, royal arms of Victoria. Two brasses, one commemmorating placing of roadside seats after second world war. Glass, 3 yellow stained sun and star in east window, probably C16. Richard Hooker, Divine & Apologist ?1553-1600, rector 1591-95 completed The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity here before leaving for Bishopsbourne, Kent, and Isaac Walton, son of Izaac Walton was rector, 1679-80. (Churches of the Bourne Valley, 1985)

Listing NGR: SU2005338560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319903
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Churches of the Upper Bourne Valley, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/11789/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].