- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- TOTTENHAM HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183809 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jun-2019 at 18:51:01.
- Statutory Address:
- TOTTENHAM HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Great Bedwyn
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 24985 63926
SU 26 SW,
GREAT BEDWYN, Tottenham House
(formerly listed as Tottenham House, Hawtreys School)
Great house, now boys preparatory school. 1825, by Thomas Cundy II for Charles Brudenell Bruce, Marquess of Ailesbury. Ashlar limestone. Slate roofs. Two-storey, semi-basement and attic storey to centre block. Giant tetrastyle Ionic portico up 10 steps. Five-bay centre block and 3 window bay linking blocks to 3 x 3 bay wings with gable stacks. Attached half Tuscan column quadrant arms to 1 x 5 bay terminal pavilions, all with roof balustrade. Main block and linking blocks have 6-pane casement windows, triangular pediments and apron balustrade. Cornice above second storey. Quadrant arms altered 1870, niches between columns and central arch with freestanding lion cresting. Rear elevation of main block similar but portico with paired Ionic columns.
INTERIOR: Entrance hall with paired Ionic pilasters and dentil cornice. End bracketed fireplaces and garlanded panel over with marble figure and child. Ailesbury motto FULMUS. Doors to main stair hall, 3 storeys high under roof light. Flying stair and galleries with cast iron balustrade and mahogany wreathed and carved rail. To right, the Grey Parlour, c1720-30 by Lord Burlington. Chaste, with marble fireplace and wood overmantel. Doors with pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice. Two pairs oak doors between rooms. Dining Hall of 4 bays. Marble chimneypiece. Heavy moulded plaster ceiling with star centre. Billiard Room, now library, with very rich ceiling, baroque chimneypiece and parquet floor. Marble Room in right wing. Paired Corinthian pilasters in mottled grey marble on background of yellow marble. Grisaille trompe l'oeil panels. Marble fireplace and parquet floor. Rear of right quadrant wing is former conservatory, cast iron columns and barrel vaulted roof by Richard and Jones. Heating plant by Henry Stothart. Tottenham House was built on the site of 2 earlier houses, first, of 1573-5 probably erected with advice of Sir John Thynne, and second a brick mansion by Richard Boyle, Lord Burlington, for his brother in law, Charles Bruce, part of which house is incorporated in the present building. Venetian windows flanking the portico recall Burlington's scheme drawn by Flitcroft, a direct reference to Jones's Wilton. Grounds landscaped by Launcelot Brown, 1764 for Lord Bruce, some prospects surviving.
(References: Wittkower, R., Palladio and English Palladianism,1983 119f and plan and elevations 118 and 119. Landscape: Stroud, D. Capability Brown; Hyams, E. Capability Brown and Humphrey Repton 1971, 229.)
Listing NGR: SU2498563926
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hyams, E, Capability Brown and Humphrey Repton, (1971)
Stroud, D, Capability Brown, (1975)
Wittkower, R, Palladio and English Palladianism, (1983)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing