CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1183857
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:57:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Bedwyn
National Grid Reference:
SU 25194 64913

Details

GREAT BEDWYN - SU 26 SE 5/72 Church of St Katherine (formerly listed as St Katherine's 22.8.66 Church Savernake) II* Anglican parish church for parish of Savernake, and Tottenham estate church. 1861, by T.H.Wyatt for Mary Caroline Herbert, 2nd Marchioness of Ailesbury. Reconstructed 1952 after explosion of ammunition store nearby. Flint with Bath oolite banding. Tiled roof. Florid Decorated style. Nave and north aisle, south porch under steeple. North and south transepts and short chancel with apse. Two-light geometric windows with foiled roundels in heads. Three-light to west and 2-light in polygonal apse. Tower of 3 stages with gabled buttresses and quatrefoiled parapet. Limestone broach spire with small high lucarnes. Iron balustrade to chancel ridge. Steps to vault at east end with cast iron railings. Interior: Nave of 5 bays, north arcade now blocked to form meeting room. Two east bays combined into openwork geometric stone screen to both transepts. Open timber roof with king post on collar and cusped brackets to wall shafts and corbels. Transepts each of 1 bay, 3-light window to south, rose window and 2 low lancets to north. Chancel raised by 3 steps, arch on elaborate vine leaf corbels. Arcaded gallery from chancel to pulpit on north. Door to vestry to south. Two stained glass windows to apse survive. Marble communion rail on 2 steps. Encaustic tiles throughout. Fittings: Lobed limestone font on 5 columns in centre of nave. Corbelled pulpit with trefoiled arcade on marble colonnettes and inlaid marble panels. Monuments: Nave east wall, 1892, inset wall tablet, limestone with shallow niche containing gilded zinc figure clasping and behind elaborate metal tree, to MARY CAROLINE HERBERT, 2nd marchioness. S. Transept, memorial to CHANDOS, 6th Marquess, 1961. Limestone and slate. Nave north wall: tall brass of 1878 to GEORGE BRUDENELL BRUCE. (References: Pevsner, Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; For glass, Nightingale, J.E. WAM XIX. 26 'Painted glass at Wulfhall'.)

Listing NGR: SU2519464913

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310796
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 19, (), 26

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/05234/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].