CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1183960
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183960.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:42:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Shenington with Alkerton
National Grid Reference:
SP 37279 42786

Details

SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON THE GREEN SP 3642-3742 (East side) Shenington 7/81 Church of Holy Trinity 8.12.55 GV II* Church. C12 chancel arch moved to north side of chancel in C19. Mostly C13. Many windows are C14 and later repaired or restored. C15 south porch. West tower probably 1504 (bequest). C19 vestry. 1879 restoration by J.L. Pearson. Coursed ironstone rubble and ironstone ashlar. Chancel and porch have steeply pitched stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. Nave and south aisle roofs not visible. Stone coped gables. Stone flue on north. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, west tower. 5-window range. Chancel has a 3-light east window with renewed reticulated tracery in Clipsham stone. Hood mould and headstop. South has three 2-light windows with trefoiled lights and quatrefoil. Centre window has repaired stonework. Sill of window on left (west) is lower. Hood moulds and label stops. Nave has four 2-light windows on north with trefoiled heads, the windows wholly renewed in C19 in Clipsham stone. One window is inserted in the former north doorway. C19 vestry. 4 north and south 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows with hood moulds and label stops. Nave has stone parapets and gable with housing for Sanctus bell. South aisle has a 2-light window with renewed ironstone tracery and mullion and a 3-light window with trefoiled lights and square head with weathered label stops. To left of the latter window is a 'lively rustic carving of a man and an ox under a C14 canopy' (Pevsner) now badly weathered. Perpendicular south porch with pointed arched stone doorway with hood mould and label stop. 2 scratch dials to right of entrance. West tower of 2 stages with crenellated parapet and Clipsham stone pinnacles. 3-light Perpendicular window on west and 2-light louvred window to bell-stage. Diagonal buttresses: Moulded stone plinth. Staircase projection on south. Interior. C12 chancel arch now in north wall of chancel has cable and zigzag decoration. Decorated sedilia and piscina. C13 style chancel arch inserted by J.L. Pearson. 2-bay south arcade has 3 octagonal stone piers on C19 stone base. Capitals have stiff leaf decoration with heads amongst the foliage. C19 roof to nave, chancel and south aisle. Font c.1800. C19 fittings including pitch pine benches, oak choir stalls, pulpit, lectern. C19 tiles. Stained glass by Jones and Willis of Birmingham erected 1909, 1920 and 1921. East window in chancel designed by Edmund Sedding, main lights by Henry Casolani, executed by Powell. Marble wall plaque in chancel to Edward and Rebecca Hughes dated 1722. (VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp148-9; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp753-4)

Listing NGR: SP3727942786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244637
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 753-4
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 148-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/11124/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Tipton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].