This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1184034



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338859

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRIGHOUSE KIRKLEES PARK SE 12 SE 4/120 Kirklees Hall Mansion and attached stables 3.1.67 G. V. I

Large stone built mansion, originally mid C16 with later C16 and early C17 enlargement, altered c.1770 by John Carr; service wing of 1780's heightened 1903; attached stable block, early C17. Deeply indented south facade, probably between 1544 and 1565, altered to right before mid C17, with vestibule between by Carr, probably along lines of an infill of 1705 (rainwater head). The south gable wall of the west wing carries a large stack of 4 coupled diamond set flues with offsets. The deeply coped gable is at a steeper pitch than the present roof line. 2 storeys. 2 cross- windows to 1st floor of gable. Wall facing inwards has a double chamfered mullioned and transomed window of 15 lights with a similar 8-light window over to 1st floor, both with cavetto-moulded mullions. 1st floor also has a small 2- light mullioned window and a single sashed window. The vestibule partly obscures another mullioned and transomed window formerly of 18 lights with a doorway broken into it, but still with 3 lights carried over the lintel. The vestibule is faced in ashlar and has 3 semi-circular arches. Modern glazing to windows. Doorway to centre. Mid C19 rusticated open balustrading The 1st floor set back with 3 sash windows (modern glazing). Vestibule overlaps spiral staircase tower constructed at the junction of the east wing, and rising above it where it forms an octagon, within the faces double chamfered mullioned windows and a Tudor arched doorway (with studded door) leading on to roof. The tower is capped by an octagonal hollow stone spire, surmounted by a ball finial in which is a weather-vane. The east wing is of 3 storeys, and forms a rectangular block running east to west. Quoins, drip course to each floor over the windows. Hipped slate roof. Small double chamfered mullioned windows of 3 and 4 lights to ground floor with similar, though altered, windows to 2nd floor. The 1st floor has tall sashed windows.

The east front; mainly later C16 and in hammer-dressed stone, has 3 elements. The first continues the storeys of the south facade but is sashed except for 2nd floor. The second, recessed to either side of a narrow projecting bay which may have been the porch, has sashes under hoodmoulds and large lateral stacks. The third element, quoined before the present corner because of the added window bay of the north facade, is gabled and has tripartite sash windows. The north front of early C17, is in finely dressed stone and must have been completely re-faced when it became the new front. Symmetrical, E-shaped 7 bay facade. 2 storeys with high scalloped parapet, crowned by finials. Plinth, drip course over windows. The bays had large windows on their northern and inner faces: these have been replaced by later, smaller windows. The porch has a round-headed doorway with fan-light; over is a broken pediment dating from Carr's alterations. Each of the outer bays have tall single sashed windows of 15 panes to each floor. To the rear of this range a courtyard was formed. 2-storey 3-bay range running south. The stonework of this range is finely dressed. This has been extended and a clear break is discernible in the stonework which becomes thin coursed hammer-dressed. This western face has two 2-light small flat faced mullioned windows. The return wall is faced in finely dressed stone, with coped gable, kneelers, finials and stack. It would appear that this was the original gable- end which was taken down and rebuilt further on. The east front is in hammer- dressed stone and has a 4-light flat faced mullioned window, with same over, of early C19 cottage type, totally out of keeping; and a very fine late C16 doorway with depressed Tudor arch, moulded spandrels, composite jambs with cyma moulded surround, and good stops. It is likely that all the windows and doorway on this facade are re-used material. C19 single storey range links service wing to coach-house and stables of C17. These form L-shaped building with wings running north and east. Windows are double chamfered. The principal facade is to the south and has 2½ storeys. 3 bays under 3 coped gables with kneelers and finials. A cross-window to each bay and floor, except the central bay which has 2 cross-windows to ground floor. Gables have 2-light double chamfered mullioned windows. Dripcourse continues round the building over ground floor windows. Right hand return wall has coped gable with kneelers and finials and octagonal faced clock in gable. Mullioned and transomed window of 8 lights with 6-light window over with hoodmould with straight returns. The mullions are ovolo moulded.

Interior: The oldest feature, in the south west corner of the house, is probably the large elliptical arched Tudor fireplace. There are also associated details in this former kitchen. The entrance vestibule contains a segmental pointed arched doorway to the left, and depressed Tudor arched doorway to the right. A Neoclassical doorcase leads into the stair hall with an Imperial staircase set between Ionic columns (in antis). The elaborate 'flying' stair, slung on iron girders, by Carr was executed by Maurice Tobin for which he was paid £249/15/0 (information from Dr. Ivan Hall). The southern ground floor room of the east wing has a heavy beamed ceiling and mid C17 plaster overmantel which has coat of arms. The stone spiral staircase is preserved above ground floor. The north front ground floor is divided into 2 large rooms, with a central tunnel-vaulted passage, within the porch a small groin vault with consoles. To the east of the passage is the 'Oak Room' divided from it by an elaborate late Elizabethan oak screen of high quality. A central doorway with 6 panelled C18 door is flanked by foliated carved colonnettes, with Ionic capitals on a plinth, the entablature decorated with lion masks. To either side, 3 panelled bays decorated with arcades with geometrically inlaid panels, the centre with marquetry faces. Inlaid strapwork frieze. The outer bays too are divided by colonnettes all of which are surmounted by carved figures of soldiers in Roman dress holding spears. The screen is surmounted by a blind gallery of flat balusters. Gadrooned rail, over which are 10 decorated open arcades, broken by curved grotesque caryatids. The walls are panelled in oak. Above the 'Oak Room' is the 'Music Room' perhaps designed by Lindley in 1777 and executed by Betram; completed in 1781. Fine gilded plaster ceiling with a central motif decorated with musical instruments and swirling vines set within an oval, all in shallow relief. The bay contains an original music bookcase. L. Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (London 1913), pp.11, 36, 37. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1979), p.292. Country Life Aug. 22nd 1908. D. Nortcliffe (Report for Yorkshire Archaeological Society Industrial History Section) Kirklees Iron Bridge of 1769 and its Builder (1979).

Listing NGR: SE1703422237

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 11,36,37
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 292
'Country Life' in 22 August, (1908)
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SE 17034 22237


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184034 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:47:32.

End of official listing